Biocon chairperson and managing director Kiran Mazumdar Shaw has been appointed ‘Chevalier de l’Ordre National de la Legion d’Honneur – Knight of the National Order of the French Legion of Honour. She has been conferred with this position for her outstanding contribution and dedication to Biosciences and Research field globally.
About Kiram Mazumdar Shaw :
Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw is an Indian She is the chairman and managing director of Biocon Limited, a biotechnology company based in Bangalore (Bengaluru), India and the current chairperson of IIM-Bangalore.
- In 2014, she was awarded the Othmer Gold Medal, for outstanding contributions to the progress of science and chemistry. She is on the Financial Times’ top 50 women in business list.
- She was listed as the 85th most powerful woman in the world by Forbes. At present in 2016, she has been listed one more time in “Forbes” – the most powerful woman in the world at 77th position.
- Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw was named among TIME magazine’s 100 most influential people in the world. She is on the 2011 Financial Times’ top 50 women in business list.
- As of 2014, she was listed as the 92nd most powerful woman in the world by Forbes. In 2015, she had risen to 85th in the Forbes ranking. The risk taking Women Entrepreneur was voted as Global Indian of the Year by Pharma Leaders Magazine in 2012.
- Mazumdar-Shaw is the recipient of several prestigious international awards including the Othmer Gold Medal(2014) for outstanding contributions to the progress of science and chemistry, the Nikkei Asia Prize (2009) for Regional Growth the ‘Veuve Clicquot Initiative For Economic Development For Asia’ Award (2007), Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award for Life Sciences & Healthcare (2002), and ‘Technology Pioneer’ recognition by World Economic Forum (2002).
- Her pioneering work in the biotechnology sector has earned her numerous national awards, including the prestigious Padma Shri (1989) and the Padma Bhushan (2005) from the government of India.
- She was given the Economic Times Award for ‘Businesswoman of the Year’ in 2004. At the Parma leaders Pharmaceutical Leadership Summit she was named “Global Indian Woman of the Year” (2012); she also received the Express Pharmaceutical Leadership Summit Award for “Dynamic Entrepreneur” in 2009.
- The Indian Merchants’ Chamber Diamond Jubilee Endowment Trust’s Eminent Businessperson of the Year Award was presented to Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw in 2006 by the Governor of Maharashtra, M. Krishna.
- She also has received the Indian Chamber of Commerce Lifetime Achievement Award (2005) the ‘Corporate Leadership Award’ by the American India Foundation (2005) and the Karnataka Rajyotsava Award(2002).
About Legion of Honour :
The Legion of Honour, full name National Order of the Legion of Honour is the highest French order for military and civil merits, established 1802 by Napoléon Bonaparte. The order is divided into five degrees of increasing distinction:
- Grand Officier(Grand Officer) and
- Grand-Croix(Grand Cross).
The order’s motto is “Honneur et Patrie” (“Honour and Fatherland”) and its seat is the Palais de la Légion d’Honneur next to the Musée d’Orsay, on the left bank of the River Seine in Paris