Bhumi Pednekar, 25-year-old Indian actress, who played an overweight girl in the film “Dum Laga Ke Haisha” won the best actress award at the Indian Film Festival of Melbourne (IFFM) 2015.
- Bhumi bagged her first award on the International stage.
- Bhumi Pednekar gained 20 kgs for her role in maiden flick in the film.
- Film “ Dum Laga Ke Haisha” released on 27th Feb 2015, the story of this film oscillates around the stereotype and mindset of a typical Indian bride who is suffering from obesity along with the stigma that how she is treated by our society and also the qualms of Indian male to accept his wife who is fat and obese.
- An IFFM award for 2015 for best film was given to the movie “Piku”.
Indian Film Festival of Melbourne (IFFM):
• The Indian Film Festival of Melbourne is a Victorian Government initiative that aims to strengthen ties between the Indian film industry and Victoria.
• Mitu Bhowmick Lange is the Festival Director of the Indian Film Festival – Bollywood and Beyond – ANZ, and the Indian Film Festival of Melbourne presented by the Victorian Government.
• Bollywood & Beyond is an annual Indian film festival based in Melbourne, Australia.
• The festival encourages emerging young film-makers from India, Australia and New Zealand through the Western Union Short Film Competition.