United Kingdom (UK) based OneWeb, a Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite communications operator, co-owned by Bharti Global has signed an MoU with the Kazakhstan Government and other subsidiaries for accelerating connectivity services in the country commemorating the 60th Anniversary of Yuri Gagarin’s first human spaceflight.
- The MoU also aims to Digitize Kazakhstan’s economy & assist Kazakhstan to become a pioneer of the latest satellite communications technologies.
- OneWeb’s partnership with the Government of Kazakhstan began in 2020.
- The first wave of network demonstrations by OneWeb in Kazakhstan is scheduled to be held by June 2021.
Establishment of Centre of Excellence (CoE)
- OneWeb received its Certificate of Incorporation from Astana International Financial Centre for setting up OneWeb Kazakhstan Ltd (OneWeb’s Kazakhstan arm).
- This will help in the establishment of an LEO Centre of Excellence (CoE) in Kazakhstan and will enable OneWeb’s service delivery across the whole of Central Asia.
- The subsidiaries with which OneWeb has signed MoU are Ministry of Digital Development, Innovation and Aerospace Industry, Kazakhstan; Joint-stock Company Republican Center of Space Communication (JSC RCSC), National Company Kazakhstan Gharysh Sapary (KGS) & Ghalam LLP, a space component supplier.
Recent Related News:
i.On 18th December 2020 Russian space agency Roscosmos Space Agency launched a Soyuz rocket carrying 36 UK telecommunications and internet satellites into space from the Vostochny launch site.
ii.On 17th November 2020, India and Kazakhstan held their 7th round of Foreign Office Consultations (FoC) through Video conference.
CEO – Neil Masterson
Executive Chairman – Sunil Bharti Mittal
Head Quarter – London, United Kingdom
Prime Minister – Askar Mamin
Capital – Nur-Sultan
Currency – Kazakhstani Tenge (KZT)