On April 1, 2021, Bharat Dynamics Ltd (BDL) started the delivery of the ‘Akash Missile’ (surface-to-air Missile System) to the Indian Army. The delivery was flagged off by Lt Gen A P Singh, Director General & Senior Colonel Commandant, Army Air Defence.
- BDL manufactures AKASH Missile for both the Indian Army and Indian Air Force.
- The Missile system has been designed and developed by DRDO (Defence Research and Development Organisation) with 96% Indigenous content.
- It can engage aerial threats up to the maximum range of 25 Km& up to an altitude of 20 km.
- Speed Range – 1.8 to 2.5 Mach.
- It was inducted in 2014 in the Indian Air Force (IAF) and in 2015 in the Indian Army.
- In December 2020, the Union Cabinet had approved the clearance of the Akash Weapon System for export.
- India has set a target of achieving USD 5 Billion in Defence Exports by 2024.
- It has also set a target of INR 1.75 Lakh Crore (USD 25 Billion) turnover in Defence Manufacturing by 2025.
Recent Related News:
i.On January 25-26, 2021, DRDO conducted the maiden launch of Akash-NG (New Generation) Surface to Air Missile (SAM) from Integrated Test Range of Balasore, off the coast of Odisha, along with Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL) & Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL).
About Bharat Dynamics Ltd (BDL):
Chairman & Managing Director – Commodore Siddharth Mishra (Retd)
Headquarters – Hyderabad, Telangana