Bharat Dynamics Ltd (BDL) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Uttar Pradesh Expressways Industrial Development Authority (UPEIDA) to establish a manufacturing unit in the UP Defence Industrial Corridor at Jhansi, which is under-construction.
- The facility will be used to manufacture propulsion systems, which will be used for various types of missiles manufactured by BDL.
- BDL will invest up to INR 400 crore in the Jhansi node of Uttar Pradesh Defence Industrial corridor. The upcoming facility at Jhansi will be the 6th one and the 1st one in North India.
- The MoU was signed between N P Diwakar, BDL Director (Technical) and Awanish Kumar Awasthi, CEO of UPEIDA.
i.As per the agreement, BDL will acquire 250 acres of land in Jhansi on lease for an initial period of 30 years (extendable up to 90 years).
ii.BDL is planning to start operations at this facility by 2023.
Future Plans of BDL
i.BDL is the only Defence Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) in India, which manufactures missiles and underwater weapons for the armed forces.
- As per its expansion plan, it is setting up units in various parts of India.
- At present, BDL has 3 manufacturing units (Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh; kanchanbagh, Telangana; Bhanur, Telangana).
- It’s manufacturing facilities at Amravati in Maharashtra and Ibrahimpatnam in Telangana are under construction.
ii.BDL is also planning to establish a facility in the UP Corridor for testing requirements under ‘Defence Testing Infrastructure Scheme’ of the Ministry of Defence.
Recent Related News:
On January 13, 2021, India’s Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL) under the Ministry of Defence and the United Kingdom’s Thales signed a ‘Teaming Agreement’ to develop STARStreak Air Defence system in India under the ‘Make in India’ programme.
About Bharat Dynamics Ltd (BDL)
CMD – Commodore Siddharth Mishra (Retd)
Headquarters – Hyderabad, Telangana
About Uttar Pradesh Expressways Industrial Development Authority (UPEIDA)
CEO – Awanish Kumar Awasthi
Headquarters – Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh