At the age of 86,former Gujarat assembly speaker Barjorji Pardiwala,passed away at a private hospital in Ahmedabad, due to age related problems. Ayaz Sheikh, his assistant said Barjorji pardiwala had some of his vital organs not functioning properly. His last rites would be conducted at Valsad. Pardiwala was also a famous lawyer in Valsad and he is father of Gujarat High Court Justice J.B Pardiwala.
- Mr.Pardiwala joined the bar on the year 1955 and practised for more than 40years.
- He successfully contested as a nominee for Congress party in the elections on Valsad assembly constituency.
- He was made speaker of the seventh state assembly when Mr Madhavsinh Solanki was the Chief Minister.
- Pardiwala’s passing away was condoled by the Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel and by the Governor OP.Kohli .
- Governor further said that inspite of the death,Pardiwala who worked for the public, would be remembered for very long time.
- His term of office was 19th January 1990 to 16th March 1990.
ABOUT GUJARAT LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY
- Gujarat Legislative Assembly is Unicameral or single chamber legislature of Gujarat.
- It is situated in Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
- Currently, 182 members are elected directly by single-seat constituency and one member is nominated.
- The term is for 5 years unless it is dissolved.
- 13 constituencies are reserved for schedule castes and 26 constituencies for schedule tribes.
- Ganpat Vasava, is the present speaker of the assembly.
The presiding officer of Legislative Assembly is called as speaker. The speaker is elected by members of the house. The speaker and deputy speaker can be removed from office by the resolution passed by the majority of members. A speaker can interpret rules and procedure. A speaker has capacity to adjourn the house in case of disorderly behaviour by the members.