On September 24, 2020, the National Medicinal Plants Board (NMPB), Ministry of AYUSH signed memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Herbal Industry bodies during a virtual ceremony in the presence of Vaidya Rajesh Kotecha, Secretary AYUSH with emphasis on raising immunity to fight coronavirus infection.
Objective :- The sale of immunity-boosting plants and herbs has increased such as tulsi, giloy, ashwagandha etc. Now to keep the sustainable supply of quality medicinal raw material to AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy), Nutraceutical and Herbal industry joined hands to promote medicinal plant cultivation.
- The industry bodies with which MoU was inked include ADMA (Ayurvedic Drug Manufacturer’s Association), Mumbai (Maharashtra); AMAM (Association for Manufactures of Ayurvedic Medicines), New Delhi; AMMOI (Ayurvedic Medicines Manufacturers Organization of India), Thrissur (Kerala); AHNMI (Association for Herbal and Nutraceutical Manufacturers of India), Mumbai; FICCI (Federation of Indian Industries), New Delhi and CII (Confederation of Indian Industry), New Delhi.
- Dr. JLN Sastry, Chief Executive Officer (NMPB) signed the MoU on behalf of Ministry of AYUSH while Chandrakant Bhanushali (ADMA), Mr Prdeep Multani (AMAM),Dr Ramanathan (AMMOI), Mr Sanjay Mariwala (AHNMI), Mr Praveen Mittal (FICCI), Mr Rajeev Vasudevan (CII) have represented respective bodies.
Key Points regarding MoU:
–As a part of MoU, AYUSH ministry will provide necessary support to resolve the issues related to the industry.
–The herbal industry will provide the buy-back guarantee to the farmers / gatherers on the NMPB supported medicinal plant cultivation and collection programs.
AYUSH Ministry to organize novel e-marathon as part of the“Ayush for Immunity” Campaign
Apart from above MoU, Ministry of AYUSH has joined hands with Rajagiri College of Social Sciences and Rajagiri Business School, Kochi (Kerala) to organise a novel e-marathon from 28th September 2020 to 10th October 2020 (15 days), as a part of the Ministry’s three-month campaign called “Ayush for Immunity” focuses on desirable health-promotion and disease preventive steps.
- Theme of the e-marathon is “Recharge Mental Health: During and beyond the Covid-19 Pandemic”.
Purpose of the event: – For the Education of COVID affected children,improve the well-being of the participants, and to develop the social nearness of people.
- Through “emarathon.rajagiri.edu” website , Interested candidates can register their name to participate in this event with their choice of timings from safer places.
- Registration fees will be donated to 50 children who lost their parents due to Covid-19 in Mumbai. Childline India Foundation will help this charity by offering the learning devices.
- Event concluded with focus of the campaign “Ayush for Immunity” which agreed with “Vihara”. It will be carried over the whole month of October 2020.
Recent Related News:
- The Union Cabinet has provided its assent for the merger of Pharmacopoeia Commission for Indian Medicine & Homoeopathy (PCIM&H) into the two central laboratories viz. Pharmacopoeia Laboratory for Indian Medicine (PLIM) and Homoeopathic Pharmacopoeia Laboratory (HPL). This will result in the re-establishment of the PCIM&H as Subordinate Office under the Ministry of AYUSH.
- On 6th July 2020, a MoU was signed between NMPB and Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) – National Bureau of Plant Genetic Resources (NBPGR) under Department of Agricultural Research and Education to conserve Medicinal and Aromatic Plants Genetic Resources (MAPGRs).
About Ministry of AYUSH:
Minister of State (MoS)– Shripad Yesso Naik