Ayurveda Day is annually observed across the globe to create awareness about the importance and significance of Ayurveda and to promote the Ayurvedic principles of healing in society. The day also aims to promote the United Nations(UN)’s Sustainable Development Goal(SDG) 3: to ensure healthy lives and promote wellbeing for all at all ages.
The Ayurveda Day is celebrated on the occasion of Dhanwantri Jayanthi or Dhanteras, the festival of Hindu god of Ayurveda, Dhanvantari.
- “Dhanteras” is made up of 2 words “Dhan” which means wealth and “Teras” which means “13”. The day is observed on the 13th day of Krishna Paksha on the month of Ashwin as per the Hindu calendar.
- The Ayurveda Day 2022 falls on 23rd October 2022 and marks the observance of the 7th Ayurveda Day.
- The theme of Ayurveda Day 2022 is “Har Din Har Ghar Ayurveda” (Ayurveda Everyday, Ayurveda Everywhere (AEAE)) which aims to propagate the benefits of Ayurveda to larger and grass root community.
- Based on the above theme, activities were conducted under 3-Js i.e. Jan Sandesh, Jan Bhagidari and Jan Aandolan and six weeklong events from 12th September 2022 to 23rd October 2022.
i.Ayurveda Day was initiated by the Center for Public Diplomacy and Soft Power of India Foundation as a global campaign.
ii.This initiative is supported by the Ministry of Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy (AYUSH), the Government of India and the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR).
Observance in India:
i.In 2016, the Ministry of AYUSH proclaimed that Dhanvantari Jayanthi or Dhanteras of every year to be celebrated as National Ayurveda Day.
ii.The National Ayurveda Day was first observed on 28th October 2016.
Events of 7th Ayurveda Day:
The Ministry of AYUSH has organised an event to mark the observance of 7th Ayurveda day on 23rd October 2022.
- The Ministry of AYUSH has organised more than 5000 evens across Inida during a 6 week long celebration across India.
- The events were organised with the support of more than 26 ministries and Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) India Missions and embassies.
Arjun Munda, Union Minister of Tribal Affairs; Sarbananda Sonowal, Union Minister of Ayush; Meenakshi Lekhi, Minister of State(MoS) of External Affairs & Culture; Dr. Munjpara Mahendrabhai Kalubhai, MoS Ayush were present during the event.
i.Ministry of AYUSH and Ministry of Tribal Affairsc (MoTA) signed a Memorandum of Understanding(MoU) to explore the areas of collaboration, convergence and synergy between both MoTA and AYUSH for Tribal development while preserving the tribal culture heritage through evidencebased planning and capacity building.
ii.During the event, a book on ‘The Ayurvedic Pharmacopia of India’, ‘The Ayurvedic formulary of India’ was released.
iii.The Ministry of AYUSH launched a Health promote to create awareness about the health benefits of medicinial plants, a species-specific national campaign on Ashwagandha.
The Union Minister of AYUSH also felicitated the winners of the 5 short video competitions.
About Ministry of Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy (AYUSH):
Union Minister– Sarbananda Sonowal(Rajya Sabha- Assam)
Minister of State– Dr. Munjpara Mahendrabhai Kalubhai(Constituency- Surendranagar, Gujarat)