On February 16, 2021, AWBI (Animal Welfare Board of India) conferred AWBI National Awards for Animal Welfare and Protection – 2021 namely ‘Prani Mitra’ & ‘Jeev Daya’ awards to 14 Individuals/Organizations/Corporates. The awards were presented by Giriraj Singh, Union Minister for Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying.
- The awards are given to individuals, organizations and corporates for their outstanding performance in the field of animal welfare
- Each year, AWBI National awards are conferred on Vasant Panchami. Vasant Panchami is celebrated as ‘Jiv Jantu Kalyan Divas’ by AWBI.
- The awards are given under the following categories – Animal Welfare Organisation (AWO), Shaurya/Bravery, Individuals, Corporate
- AWBI is an apex body in India for the welfare and protection of animals. It is established under Section 4 of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960.
- AWBI advises the Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying (Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying)
Co-Founder of Blue Cross of India gets Prani Mitra Award
Dr S Chinny Krishna, Co-founder of the Blue Cross of India was awarded Prani Mitra Award for Lifetime Service to Animals.
List of Awardees:
|Name of the Awards||Awardee|
|Prani Mitra Award – Individual||
|Prani Mitra Award – Shaurya||
|Prani Mitra Award – LifeTime Animal Service||
|Prani Mitra Award – Animal Welfare Organization||
|Prani Mitra Award – Corporate||Tata Trust Foundation, Mumbai.|
|Jeev Daya Award – Animal Welfare Organisation||
- Atul Chatuvedi, Secretary, Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry & Dairying highlighted the Article 51 A (g) of the Indian Constitution which states that it is the moral responsibility of citizens of India to protect the natural environment & have compassion for all living creatures.
About Animal Welfare Board of India (AWBI):
Chairman – O P Chaudhary
Headquarters – Ballabhgarh, Haryana