Asian Hockey Federation (AHF) on March 30, 2017 named SV Sunil as the Asian Player of the Year 2016 and Harmanpreet Singh as Asian Promising Player of the Year 2016 (Junior team).
The nominations for these awards were made by coaches of the national teams across Asia and the criteria of nomination were based on the performance in the previous year.
Performances by awardees
- S V Sunil efforts as a forward player and vice-captain of the team along with Harmanpreet Singh at the FIH Champions Trophy held in London, which led India to a historic silver medal win.
- Harmanpreet Singh, the Drag-flicking specialist performed well in the Junior World Cup where he led the Indian team defense and was also unique in converting penalty corners into goals. He was also part of the Indian men’s team at the 2016 Rio Olympics.
About Asian Hockey Federation (AHF)
- Asian Hockey Federation (AHF) is the body which governs the sport of field hockey in Asia with 31 member associations.
- The federation is chaired by Tengku Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah from Malaysia.
- AHF conducts 8 Asian level tournaments for its member nations.
- Headquarters: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Motto: Ever onwards
About S V Sunil
- Somwarpet Vittalacharya Sunil was born on 6 May 1989 and an Indian professional field hockey as a forward player.
- He was from the state of Karnataka and made his debut in the 2007 Asia Cup in Chennai.
About Harmanpreet Singh
- Harmanpreet Singh was born on 27 June 1998 from Punjab and an Indian professional field hockey as a defense player.
- He made his debut in the 2016 Summer Olympics.