The Asia Leader’s Meeting towards Implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction in Asia was held in in New Delhi from November 14-17, 2015.
- Asia Leaders’ Meeting will be followed by 2nd ISDR Asia Partnership (IAP) meeting of 2015 from November 17-19, 2015.
Organizer – United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR) in collaboration with the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India.
Countries Participated – India, China, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Mongolia, South Korea and Thailand
Objective of IAP meeting
The main focus of the three-day ISDR IAP meeting is:
- To discuss the substantive preparation of the Asia Ministerial Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction (AMCDRR) to be held in New Delhi on November 14-17, 2016.
- To provide necessary consultation and technical support to implement the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction (SFDRR) 2015-2030.
About Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction
The SFDRR 2015-2030 was adopted at the Third UN World Conference in Sendai, Japan on March 18, 2015 as a successor instrument to the Hyogo Framework for Action 2005-2015.
- It is built on the achievements and learning from the Hyogo Framework.
- Sendai Framework focuses on preventing new disaster risks, reducing existing disaster risks that also strengthen resilience and underlines various measures to prevent and reduce hazard exposure and vulnerability, increase preparedness and recovery.
- First ISDR Asia Partnership (IAP) meeting of 2015 was held in Thailand (Bangkok) on 03-05 Jun 2015.
- IAP has 24 Members countries.