Three-time former National Champion and international wrestler cum wrestling Coach Anoop Singh and Paralympics coach Naval Singh were among the five names recommended for this year’s Dronacharya Award by a selection panel.
The recommendations will now be sent to the Sports Minister Sarbananda Sonowal, who will take the final decision and only after his signing, the names would be made public. Finally, the awards are to be given away by the President Pranab Mukherjee on August 29, the National Sports Day.
About The Recipients:
- Besides being a former champion himself, Anoop Singh has guided top grapplers such as Sushil Kumar, Yogeshwar Dutt, Satyawart Kadian, Bajrang, Amit Dahiya, and around 58 wrestlers to achieve their own dream.
- While Anoop Singh and Naval Singh were recommended on the basis of current performance (2011-2014), Nihar Amin (swimming), S R Singh (boxing), Harbans Singh (athletics) were considered in the ‘Lifetime Achievement Category‘ in which achievements over a period of 20 years is taken into account.
About the Dronacharya Award:
- As the best sportsperson award is named Arjuna Award, it is appropriate that the coaching award is named after Dronacharya, as he was the teacher of Arjuna.
- Dronacharya Award is an award presented by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, government of India for excellence in sports coaching.
- The award comprises a bronze statuette of Dronacharya, a scroll of honour and a cash component of Rs.300,000.
- The award was instituted in 1985.
- M. Nambiar is the first sports person to be awarded with the Dronacharya Award.
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification