IOC president Thomas Bach officially appointed Angela Ruggiero, an American ice hockey Olympic champion as the new chair person of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) athlete’s commission.
About IOC Athletes Commission :
- The IOC Athletes’ Commission is a body maintained by the International Olympic Committee for the purpose of representing athletes.
- It was established in 1981 by the then-President of the IOC,Juan Antonio Samaranch, and its creation was subsequently codified by the IOC in Rule 21 of the Olympic Charter.
- The Commission is a consultative body whose function is to act as “the link between active athletes and the IOC”.It makes recommendations to the IOC’s executive bodies, and its chair serves as a member of the IOC Executive Board.
The Commission meets once or twice a year, and organizes an Athletes’ Forum once every two years. It works in liaison with similar athletes’ commissions of the Continental Associations, individual National Olympic Committees and the International Sports Federations.
- 12 members are elected to the Commission by Olympic athletes for a term of eight years. In addition, the President of the IOC may appoint up to seven further members in order to ensure a balance between regions, gender and sports
- The elected members are usually also elected to the IOC itself shortly after becoming members of the Commission, and serve on the IOC for the duration of their membership of the Commission.
- It is noted that after four years at the helm of the Commission, Claudia Bokel will see her term of office come to an end at the conclusion of the Olympic Games Rio 2016.
About Angela Ruggiero :
- Angela Marie Ruggiero is an Americanice hockey defense man. Ruggiero was born in Panorama City, but grew up in Sylmar and Simi Valley, California.
- Angela Ruggiero is the current Vice-Chair of the Commission.
- She is a member of the International Olympic Committee and was a member of the United States women’s national ice hockey team, medaling in four successive Winter Olympic Games, including one Gold medal, two Silver, and one Bronze.
- She competed in ten Women’s World Championships winning four Gold medals and six Silver. She also authored a memoir about her hockey experiences called Breaking the Ice.
- She also was a contestant on the NBC reality show The Apprentice. She announced her retirement from USA’s national hockey team on December 28, 2011 and recently received an MBA from Harvard Business School.
- On June 29, 2015, Ruggiero was announced as a member of theHockey Hall of Fame Class of 2015. She was inducted on November 9, 2015. She is only the fourth woman and second American woman to be inducted.
- She is also the only person to be inducted that was born in California. Angela is the All-Time Leader in Games Played for Team USA.
About Rio olympics 2016,
- Venue – Brazil
- Span – August 5 to August 21
- Participating nations – 207
- Stadium –maracana stadium