The state government of Andhra Pradesh has reestablished the Andhra Pradesh Commission for Backward Classes by exercising the rights vested in the section 3 of Andhra Pradesh Commission for Backward Classes Act, 1993.
- It has been re-initiated after the time gap of 4 years, as the previous commission term was expired on 24 September 2011.
- The reconstituted two member commission will be chaired by Justice K.L.Manjunath, (Retd.) while the second member will be Member Secretary of APCBC.
- The tenure of the chairman of A.P. Commission for Backward Classes is of 3 years from the date of assumption of office in terms.
About AP Commission for Backward classes:
The Andhra Pradesh Commission for Backward Classes was originated in 31.3.1994, under the A.P. Commission for Backward Classes Act, 1993. The body comprises of the following members:
- A chairperson who is or has been a Judge of High Court or a retired Judge of the Supreme Court
- A Social Scientist.
- Two persons who have special knowledge matters relating to backward classes.
- A Member Secretary who shall be an officer of the Govt. in the rank of Secretary to the Govt.
Functions of AP Commission for Backward classes:
- It examine the appeal for the addition of any class of citizens in the list of backward classes and also hears complaints related to inclusion or under inclusion of any backward class in such list.
- It also give directions to on matters relating to backward classes and also make an interim report on castes or classes which needs urgent action.
- It enquires specific complaints related to non-adherence of rule reservation in admissions and appointments in the state.
Keys Andhra Pradesh:
CM – N. Chandrababu Naidu
Governor – E. S. L. Narasimhan
Nickname – Egg Bowl of Asia, Kohinoor of India
Classical Dance – Kuchipudi