Andhra Pradesh is preparing to become the first state in the country to cent percent of its urban regions “Open Defecation Free” by October 2. This will be benchmarked for launch of “Swachh Bharat” mission by Prime Minister Narendra Modi
- Rajiv Gauba, Secretary (Urban Development) at Visakhapatnam assured to instate during a review of progress of Swachh Bharat Mission in all the 110 municipalities of States
Secretary visited the port city for review of progress of Urban Mission
- Smart City Mission
- Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation
- Swachh Bharat Mission
He had meeting with the collectors of all the 13 districts and Municipal Commissioners of 110 municipalities on their action plans for ensuring open defection free and review the progress.
Features of review:
- State shows progress in construction of toilets in urban areas can make all 100 municipalities Open Defecation Free by October 2 this year
- Target of construction of 1,94,336 individual household toilets in urban areas of Andhra Pradesh and construction of 1,04,732 toilets has already been completed
- Central assistance of Rs. 4,000 per toilet and State Government assistance of an additional Rs.11,000 per toilet
- Solid Waste Management, out of the total wards of 3,458 in 110 municipalities, 100 percent door-to-door collection and transportation of such waste is being done in 3,072 wards
Construction of waste to Energy plants for generating 63 MW of Power from 6440 tonnes of waste and being awarded for the work by the State Government.
- The Secretary was informed that these plants would be commissioned during 2017-18.
- The Secretary praised the Government and all related official for improved progress under the mission in urban areas and encouraged to become the First Open defecation Free State in this year.
SWACHH BHARAT ABHIYAN
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi Launched the ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyan’ (Clean India Mission) 2nd October 2014.
- The mission was launched on the occasion of Mahatma Gandhi’s 145th birth anniversary