MAGDHA. (1200 BC TO 321 BC)
|HARYANKA DYNASTY (600 BC TO 413 BC)|
|Bhimbisara||– A contemporary of Buddha, he conquered Anga(east Bihar) to gain control over the trade routes with the southern states.|
|Ajatshatru||– Bimbisara’s son who killed his father and seizedthe throne.|
– Annexed Vaishali and Kosala
|Udayin||– He shifted capital from “Rajagriha” to “Patliputra”.|
|SHISHUNAGA DYNASTY(413BC TO 345 BC)|
|Shishu Naga||– He was the viceroy of Banaras who founded Shishunaga Dynasty
– The most famous event was, the capital was shiftedto Vaishali.
|Kala Ashok||– Second Buddhist council held during his rein|
|NANDA DYNASTY(345 BC TO 321 BC)|
|Mahapadmananda||It is considered first of the non-Kshatriya|
|Bhadrasal or Dhanananda||Alexander attacked India during the reign of|
|MAURYANS DYNASTY(324 BC TO 184 BC)|
|Chandragupta Maurya||– Chandragupta Maurya was the founder of Mauryan dynasty. Also known as Sandrocottus(kind towards friends) by Greek scholars.|
– According to the Jain work Parishista-parvan, Chandragupta converted to Jainism in the end years of his life and went to south near Sravanbelgolawith his Guru Bhadrabahu.
– “Megasthenes” a famous Greek Historian travelled during his rein.
|Bindusara||Bindusara did not make any territorial conquest and towards the time of his death he joined the Ajivika sect|
|Ashoka||– Ashoka (273-232 B.C.) had served as governor of|
– Taxila and Ujjain previously.
– He used Brahmi ,Kharoshthi, Aramic and Greek in his inscriptions.
– He sent his son “Mahindra” and daughter “ Sanghmitra” to Cylon(Sri lanka).
– His empire covered the whole territory from Hindukush to Bengal and extended over to Afghanistan, Baluchistan and the whole of Indiawith the exception of a small area in the farthest south comprising of Kerela
– Ashoka died in 232 B.C. and with him departed theglory of Mauryan Empire.
|Kunal||– Became blind after some time|
|Dasrath||– He split the kingdom and made Tashila his capital|
|Sampriti||– Unified the kingdom.|
|Bridrath||– Last king of Mauryan dynasty.|
|SUNGH DYNASTY(185 BC TO 73 BC)|
|PushyamitraSungh||– He killed Bridrath|
|Agnimitra||– He was the hero of KalidasMalavikagnimitram.|
– Patanjali’s classic “Mahabhaya ” written at his time.