On May 30, 2017, Bollywood actor Amitabh Bachchan launched Drinking Water and Sanitation Ministry’s ‘Darwaza Band’ campaign for promotion of toilet usage across the country. Narendra Singh Tomar – Union Minister for Drinking Water and Sanitation, Devendra Fadnavis – Chief Minister of Maharashtra and other dignitaries were present at the formal launch of the campaign in Mumbai.
About ‘Darwaza Band’ Campaign:
- This campaign is an initiative of the Union Drinking Water and Sanitation Ministry and is supported by the World Bank.
- It has been rolled out countrywide immediately after the launch.
- The objective of the campaign is to encourage behaviour change in men who have toilets but are not using them.
- Bollywood actress Anushka Sharma will also be a part of this campaign. She will be seen encouraging women to stand up for this issue in their villages and assume a leadership role.
- The campaign will be carried out through TV, radio and print media. It also includes short video messages that can be shared on different platforms.
Before the launch, Amitabh Bachchan lent his support to the campaign through a series of tweets.
Brief Biography of Amitabh Bachchan:
Amitabh Bachchan was born on October 11, 1942 in Allahabad.
- He has been a part of film industry since almost five decades and has acted in over 190 films.
- Throughout his film career, he has won numerous awards for his performance, including National Award as Best Actor.
- For his contribution to the arts, he has been conferred Padma Shriin 1984, the Padma Bhushan in 2001 and the Padma Vibhushan in 2015 by Government of India.
- In the context of this news, it is to be noted that Amitabh Bachchan is one of the ambassadors of ‘Swachh Bharat Mission’.