On February 16, 2021, Amazon India announced that it will begin its 1st Device Manufacturing Line in India for production of electronic devices at Chennai by the end of 2021. It has collaborated with Contract Manufacturer Cloud Network Technology, a subsidiary of Foxconn for the manufacturing process.
- To begin with, Amazon will start manufacturing Amazon Fire TV sticks from India.
- Amazon’s announcement came after a virtual meeting between Ravi Shankar Prasad, Union Minister for Electronics & Information Technology and Amit Agarwal, Head of Amazon India & Amazon’s Global Senior Vice-President.
- It will increase the domestic production capacities & help in creation of jobs.
- It will also further Indian Government’s mission of ‘Atma Nirbhar Bharat’.
- Amazon has pledged to invest USD 1 Billion to digitise 10 Million Small and Medium businesses to help Indian businesses sell worldwide. The investment will enable USD 10 Billion in Cumulative Exports and create additional 1 Million Jobs by 2025.
Global Market for India’s Artisans & Ayurvedic Products:
During the meeting, Union Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad had asked Amazon India’s help to take India’s Artisans & Ayurvedic products to global markets through its platform.
In July, 2020, Apple started manufacturing iPhone11 at Foxconn’s Chennai Plant. It was the 1st time that Apple has brought manufacturing of Iphone to India.
Recent Related News:
i.On December 9, 2020, CII signed a MoU with Amazon India (amazon.in) to enable benefits of Electronic(e)-commerce to Micro Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) in 10 states across India.
About Amazon India:
Manager (Country Head of India) – Amit Agarwal
Headquarters – Hyderabad, Telangana
Founder & CEO– Jeff Bezos (Recently in News)
Headquarters– Washington, United States