The Ministry of Women & Child Development (WCD) stated that it has classified all its major programmes under 3 umbrella schemes namely – Mission Poshan 2.0 (Prime Minister’s Overarching Scheme for Holistic Nutrition), Mission Vatsalya & Mission Shakti for the sake of better Implementation of the schemes & programmes.
Importance of WCD Ministry
- According to the 2011 census, Women & Children constitute 67.7% of India’s Population.
- It was set up as a Separate Ministry in 2006 for ensuring nourishment of children to grow in a safe & secure environment & empower women by freeing them from all forms of discrimination and violence.
Objective of WCD
- To address gaps in State action for Women & Children
- To promote inter-ministerial & inter-sectoral convergence for creating gender equitable & child centred legislation, policies & programmes.
|Umbrella Scheme||Schemes Included||Allocations in Union Budget 2021-22|
|Saksham Anganwadi & POSHAN 2.0||INR 20, 105 Crores|
|Mission Vatsalya||Child Protection Services and Child Welfare Services||INR 900 Crores|
|Mission Shakti||SAMBAL |
|INR 3, 109 Crores|
- The supplementary nutrition programme & the POSHAN Abhiyaan were merged to launch Mission POSHAN 2.0.
- Objective – To Strengthen nutritional content, delivery, outreach & outcome.
- In the Union Budget of 2021-22, INR 24, 435 Crore was allocated to the WCD Ministry, out of that INR 20, 105 Crore was allocated to Saksham Anganwadi & Poshan 2.0.
- It was set up to look into child protection services & welfare services
- It was set up for Protection & Empowerment of Women
- It will run in convergence with other Umbrella schemes of WCD such as Mission POSHAN 2.0, Mission VATSALYA & Mission SAKSHAM-Anganwadi
Recent Related News:
i.On September 20, 2020, Ministry of Women and Child Development (MWCD) inked MoU with the AYUSH Ministry to control Malnutrition as a part of POSHAN Abhiyaan.
About Ministry of Women & Child Development:
Union Minister – Smriti Irani (Lok Sabha MP, Constituency – Amethi, UP)
Minister of State – Debasree Chaudhuri (Lok Sabha MP, Constituency – Raiganj, West Bengal)