The 23 year-old G. Akash from Chennai, Tamil Nadu becomes the country’s 66th Grandmaster with rating of 2495. The title was confirmed at the recent meeting of International Chess Federation (FIDE) Council
Akash: The 66th Grandmaster
- Akash is an engineering graduate from Anna University.
- He is coached by K. Visweswaran, a former National Champion.
- He won the national title in 2012.
- Akash got third Grand Master norm in the National senior chess ‘A’ championship in Majhitar(Sikkim) in 2019 were he fell short of the required Elo Mark of 2500.
- Around five tournaments were played across the world to reach the rating.
- He has played in Wijk Aan Zee (Netherlands), Conpenhagen (Denmark), Prague and Liberec (Czech Republic) and in Bad Worishofen (Germany), were he attained his final norm.
M Pranesh, from Chennai, Tamil Nadu and Ameya Audi, from Goa earned International Master Titles.
Headquarters: Lausanne, Switzerland
President: Arkady Vladimirovich Dvorkovich