On the request of the Government of Maldives, the Government of India has decided to support the Hanimaadhoo International Airport expansion project under the USD 800 million Line of Credit from EXIM (Export-Import) Bank of India. In this regard, high-level delegation from the Airports Authority of India (AAI) visited the Maldives where they met with Minister of Economic Development Fayyaz Ismail and senior officials from Ministry of Economic Development (MoED) and the Ministry of Transport and Civil Aviation (MoTCA), and also visited Hanimaadhoo for initial surveys and assessments.
- Following this, on September 23, 2020, AAI commenced work on the Detailed Project Report (DPR) for this project, which will be prepared in 2 months. It is one of the largest infrastructure and connectivity projects in northern Maldives.
- It should be noted that recently India and Maldives announced a ferry service from Tuticorin and Cochin (Tamil Nadu) to Kulhudhuffushi and Male.
–After DPR is prepared, the EXIM Bank of India and MoED will jointly prepare tender documents for the project to select the EPC (Engineering, procurement, and construction) contractor.
— The final tendering for the project will be undertaken by the Government of Maldives.
— The project will be implemented in collaboration between selected Indian companies and local companies as stipulated by EXIM Bank of India guidelines.
–Work on this project is expected to commence early next year.
Points to be noted:
As of now, seven mega infrastructure projects are being undertaken under the USD 800 million Line of Credit from India viz.
- Water and Sewerage network for 34 islands
- Addu Roads and Reclamation project
- Gulhifalhu Port
- Expansion of facilities of Maldives Industrial Fisheries Company (MIFCO)
- Cricket Stadium in Hulhumale
- Hanimaadhoo International Airport expansion
- Cancer Hospital in Hulhumale.
–Apart from above, another Line of Credit of USD 400 million and a grant of USD 100 million has been extended for the Greater Male Connectivity Project (GMCP) that will link Male to Villingili, Gulhifalhu and Thilafushi.
About Hanimaadhoo International Airport project:
It includes the extension of the runway to 2200 metres (to allow A320s, Boeing 737s to land), and the upgradation of terminals, fuel farms, cargo terminal, fire station, etc.
Recent Related News:
- On the occasion of Independence Day of the Maldives on July 26, 2020, the largest Indian public sector bank, State Bank of India (SBI) provided liquidity support of USD 16.20 million as a COVID-relief for the Government of Maldives to overcome liquidity shortage.
- On July 20, 2020, the Government of India (GoI) signed an agreement with the Ministry of Health of Maldives for the establishment of an‘Emergency Medical Services Unit’ at Baa Atoll Dharavandhoo Hospital in Male. The project would cost MVR (Maldivian rufiyaa) 8.5 million (Approximately Rs 4,14,58,782) out of which MVR 7.5 million (Approximately Rs 3,64,03,786) is grant from India.
Currency– Maldivian rufiyaa
President– Ibrahim Mohamed Solih
About Airports Authority of India (AAI):
Chairman– Arvind Singh
Headquarter– New Delhi