The 11th biennial edition of International Aerospace and Defence Exhibition – Aero India 2017 kicked off at the Air Force Station, Yelahanka in Bengaluru, Karnataka on February 14, 2017.
- The five day event was inaugurated by Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar. It has been organized and conducted by the Defence Exhibition Organisation (DEO) and will conclude on February 18, 2017.
- The 2017 Aero India is expected to be the largest show in the recent year with a focus on Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Make in India initiative.
- It began with a flypast with Mi17 helicopters carrying the flags of India and the Indian Air Force (IAF).
Key Highlights of Aero India 2017
Nearly 270 Indian and 279 foreign companies with over 2 lakh business visitors are taking part in the event.Total 51 countries are participating in the show and there shall be country-wise company participation from 23 countries including official delegations.
- Aircraft from India and different parts of the world will also be major attraction. 72 aircraft will participate.
- Among the aircrafts, foreign aircraft like Rafale fighter jets, Swedish Gripen and American F-16 fighters is participating at the show.
- Hindustan Aeronautics (HAL) and the Indian Air Force (IAF) displayed a variety of helicopters in the show ranging from the new Light Utility Helicopter (LUH), Dhruv and Rudra, HAL Tejas (LCA) and Sukhoi Su-30 MKI.
- Besides, fighter aircraft manufacturers like Lockheed Martin, SAAB, Dassault Aviation, BAE among other major manufactures are setting up stalls to showcase their products.
- Four Indian states including Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat and Kerala are setting up exclusive SEZ pavilions for attracting investment.
- The Aerobatic teams participating in the show includes, the Indian Air Force Sarang Team, the Indian Air Force Surya Kiran Team, the Scandinavian Air Show Team from Sweden and the Evolvkos Aerobatic Team from Britain.
- Surya Kiran Aerobatics team of the Indian Air Force is participating after six years with newly inducted Hawk jets and it will be the team’s 500th public show.
- The total area of the show has grown from 24,403 sqm to 27,678 sqm in 2017 while the gross area has also increased from 2,50,000 sqm to 2,60,000 sqm.
- Exhibitors from USA, France, the UK, Russia, Israel, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Ukraine, Singapore, Sweden, Spain, South Africa, Italy, the UAE, South Korea, Hong Kong, the Czech Republic, Canada, Australia, Poland and Greece are participating in the show.
Chinese Team Participate for the First Time
For the first time in the Aero India event, China will also participate with a five member team. Besides, two more delegates from china would also be attending the event.
- The Chinese air Force will be headed by Major General Wang Qiang. Other defence delegates include Senior Colonel Gao Zhikuan, Col Huang Xinyang, Lt Col Jiang Jiaji and Maj Li Yiu.
DRDO Hands Over Airborne Early Warning and Control System to Indian Air Force
One of the major event of Aero India 2017 on February 14, 2017 was the handing over of Airborne Early Warning and Control System (AEW&C) to the Indian Air Force by the Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO).
- The Netra AEW&C system has been developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) in collaborative efforts by IAF along with coordination for certification clearance and quality assurance by CEMILAC and DGAQA.
- The system has a range of around 200 km and capability to better detect enemy aircraft and missiles by integration of the information from sensors with intelligence to provide air picture.
- The Surveillance System has a voice communication system and self protection suite mounted on Brazilian Embraer-145 jet, Emb-145 platform with an air to air refueling capability to enhance surveillance time.
Other Major events of the Aero India 2017
As a part of the Aero India 2017, a seminar has been organized by Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) in association with the Aeronautical Society of India (AeSI) from 12th to 14th of February 2017.
- The theme of the seminar is “Aerospace: Technology Collaboration and Self Reliance”.
- iii.Among the seminar, Andhra Global CEO’s Conclave on Aerospace and Defence Manufacturing Opportunities in Andhra Pradesh was also held on February 14, 2017.
- The conclave was chaired by Minister of Civil Aviation Shri Ashok Gajapathi Raju Pusapati while the Guest of Honour was Defence Minister Shri Manohar Parrikar.The CII, FICCI and PHD shall jointly conduct business meet on February 15, 2017 under the Make in India Initiative.
- The important topics of the meeting include, “Indian Aerospace : Investor’s Meet” by CII, “Make in India in Aerospace: Are MSMEs geared for it?– Reflections and the Way Forward” by PHD, CII.
- Further, Round Tables Country specific meet by Indian chambers has been organized.
About Aero India
Aero India is a biennial air show and aviation exhibition held in Bengaluru, India at the Yelahanka Air Force Station since 1996.
- It is the largest air show in Asia and the second largest air show of the world after the Paris Air Show.
- Aero India is organised by Defence Exhibition Organisation, Ministry of Defence
- Besides, the Defence Ministry of India, Indian Air Force, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), Department of Space, the Union Civil Aviation Ministry and other such organisations join hands to organise the Aero India show.