Internationally acclaimed filmmaker Adoor Gopalakrishnan has been conferred with the second Bishwaratna Dr Bhupen Hazarika International Solidarity Award 2015, at a function held at Rabindra Bhawan, Guwahati. The Award was presented by Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi and Asam Sahitya Sabha chief Dr. Dhrubajyoti Bora.
Knowledge is Wealth
- The Award was instituted by the Assam Sahitya Sabha and sponsored by the Numaligarh Refinery Limited (NRL).
- The Award carries a memento, a citation, a collection of books and a cheque of Rs 5 lakh.
- The first international solidarity award was presented to eminent research scholar and dance exponent Lubna Marium of Bangladesh.
- Adoor Gopalakrishnan has pioneered the film society movement in Kerala.
- Gopalakrishnan had won several international film awards and Indian Government had conferred him the Dadasaheb Phalke Award in 2004.
- Adoor received the Padma Shri in 1984 and thePadma Vibhushan in 2006.