American actress and comedian Anne Meara aged 85,breathed her last on 23rd May 2015 in Manhattan,New York City,USA..She was famous for her opposites-attract comedy routine with her husband Jerry stiller.She is survived by her husband Jerry Stiller. Married for 61 years they both also worked together almost as long.
- Meara started her career in so called summer stock theatre and in 1954 she joined the cast of NBC soap pera ” Greatest gift”.
- In the year 1953 Meara and Stiller met at an agents office and got married later.
- Both worked together in Comedy Players compass troupe, a precursor to second City organisation, before they both formed a great combination by themselves.
- ”The Ed Sullivan Show” in which they both made 36 appearances was a simple proof to their popularity in 1960’s
- Skits such as interviews with biblical Jonah after his encounter with whale and imitations of TV commercials.
- Their humor was marriage based and focused on the height as Stiller was shorter in height compared to Meara.
- Their ethnicity was also point of humor as she was Irish and he was Jewish.
- The feeling of insecurity being actors was responsible for their marriage to last such long as told by Stiller to New York times in 2012.
- In early 1970s, they began to work seperately. Meara made films” The Out Of Towners” and ”Lovers and Other Strangers” and starred in TV show Kate McShane that ran for a year .
- ”King of Queens’ and ”Sex and the city” were other TV shows in which she acted.
- Meara was also survived by her son Ben, daughter Amy and her grandchildren.
- Meara was twice nominated for Emmy award for her supporting role on Archie Bunker’s Place.
- She won the writers guild award in 1983 for her performance in TV film ” The Other women”.
Emmy Award– some facts
- Emmy award is given to those who excel in television industry in USA.
- It corresponds to Academy Awards, Tony Awards, Grammy Awards given to fields like films, theatre and music respectively.
- It was first awarded in 1949.