Reliance Jio Infocom, the telecom arm of Mukesh Ambani Group’s Reliance Industries (RIL), has cleared the table for building the Indian part of the 20,000 km submarine cable, which is set to Africa to South Asia from the Asia Africa Europe One (AAE-1) cable system.
What is AAE – 1?
This is one of the World Largest Sub-Sea Cable system which connects
- the UAE,
- Saudi Arabia,
- Italy and France.
The cable will terminate at Versova Beach in Mumbai. The AAE-1 cable is expected to open a new era to promote the broadband market across Asia, Africa and Europe.
- The AAE-1 consortium which consists of 17 global service providers signed the construction and maintenance agreement in Hong Kong on January 27, 2014. The AAE-1 cable construction is due to be completed in 2016.
The CRZ clearance was given to the company subject to the compliance of the specific and general conditions and the Expert Appraisal Committee (EAC) under the ministry has granted the CRZ approval to the Reliance Jio Infocom’s project that envisages landing of the AAE-I submarine cable system at Versova beach in Mumbai.
- The cable will terminate in Mumbai at a Beach Man Hole (BMH) proposed to be located at a beach road connecting JP road to Versova Beach.
- The proposed AAE-1 cable system is to be completed this year. It aims at enhancing telecom connectivity, providing additional capacity and speed for international traffic.
- The company has chosen Versova Beach as preferred route of cable laying of AAE-I because two other similar projects — Europe India Gateway (EIG) Submarine Cable Landing by Bharti Airtel Limited and Gulf Bridge International (GBI) Submarine Cable Landing by Sifi Technologies — are already present there.
What is Reliance Jio ?
- Jio, also known as Reliance Jio and officially as Reliance Jio Infocomm Limited (RJIL) is an upcoming provider of mobile telephony, broadband services, and digital services in India.
- It is formerly known as Infotel Broadband Services Limited, Jio will provide 4G services on a pan-India level using LTE technology. The telecom leg ofReliance Industries Limited, it was incorporated in 2007 and is based in Mumbai, India.
The services were beta launched to Jio’s partners and employees on 27 December 2015 on the eve of 83rd birth anniversary of late Dhirubhai Ambani, founder of Reliance Industries.