England Men’s cricket team led by Jos Buttler crowned as the champions of the 8th International Cricket Council (ICC) Men’s T20 (Twenty20) International World Cup 2022 by defeating Pakistan men’s cricket team led by Babar Azam.
- With this win, England won its second ICC Men’s T20 (Twenty20) International World Cup title.
- Australia hosted the tournament from October 16, 2022 – November 13, 2022. The host cities were Adelaide, Brisbane, Geelong, Hobart, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney.
- The finals was held at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG), Melbourne. The total prize money of the tournament was USD 5,600,000.
Points to be noted:
i.Sam Curran of England was named the Player of the Match (Finals) and also the Player of the tournament.
i.Virat Kohli, Suryakumar Yadav included in Most Valuable Team Of ICC Men’s T20I World Cup
ICC announced the ‘Upstox Most Valuable Team of the Tournament’ where India’s Virat Kohli and Suryakumar Yadav marked their names. Overall, players from 6 nations have been named in this Most Valuable Team list.
- Other players of the 11-member team are – Alex Hales (England), Jos Buttler (England), Glenn Phillips (New Zealand), Sikandar Raza (Zimbabwe), Shadab Khan (Pakistan), Sam Curran (England), Anrich Nortje (South Africa), Mark Wood (England) Shaheen Shah Afridi (Pakistan).
- The 12th player of the team is Hardik Pandya (India).
ii.Suryakumar Yadav becomes 1st Indian player to score 1,000 T20I runs in a calendar year
Indian batter Suryakumar Yadav became the first Indian player to score 1,000 T20 International runs in a calendar year of T20I. He accomplished this feat in his side’s final Super 12 stage match against Zimbabwe at Melbourne.
- He is also the only second player in T20I history to have scored more than 1000 runs in one calendar year after Pakistan’s Mohammad Rizwan who scored a total of 1326 runs in 29 matches in 2021.
iii.Virat Kohli becomes first player to top batting charts in 2 T20I World Cups
India’s Virat Kohli became the first player to end two ICC T20I World Cup as the leading run-scorer in the tournament. He ended 2022 edition with 296 runs in six matches at an average of 98.66.
- Previously, he had ended at the top of the batting charts in the 2014 edition of the tournament when he scored 319 runs in six matches at an average of 106.33.
iv.Virat Kohli becomes first batter to score 4000 runs in T20Is
Virat Kohli became the first batter in history to score 4000 runs in T20 Internationals.
He attained this feat during the second semi-final of the T20I World Cup 2022 against England.
- He is the only batter in the shortest format to average over 50 and reached the milestone in 115 matches.
v.Babar Azam-Mohammad Rizwan become first duo to have 3 century stands in T20I WC history
Pakistan’s opening pair of Babar Azam and Mohammad Rizwan became the first-ever duo to have three-century stands in the history of the ICC T20I World Cup. The duo accomplished this feat during their side’s first semifinal match against New Zealand at the Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) where they achieved 105 runs in 76 balls.
- Before this, they recorded their previous two-century stands in 2021. Their first one was an unbeaten 152-run stand. After this, they managed to form a stand of 113 runs against Namibia.
vi.Sikandar Raza becomes first to score 500+ runs, take 25 wickets in T20Is during a calendar year
An all-rounder, Sikandar Raza of Zimbabwe, became the first-ever player in the history of T20I cricket to score 500+ runs and take 25 wickets during a calendar year in T20I.
- He accomplished this feat against India during the final Super 12 clash.
vii.Netherlands’ batter Stephan Myburgh retires from International Cricket
Netherlands’ batter Stephan Myburgh (38) has announced his retirement from international cricket, in order to spend more time with his family. He represented the Netherlands in 22 ODIs (One Day Internationals) and 45 T20Is.
Recent Related News:
i.Indian women’s cricket team captain Harmanpreet Kaur and Pakistan wicketkeeper batter Mohammad Rizwan won the ICC (International Cricket Council)Player of the Month awards for September 2022 in women’s and men’s categories respectively.
ii.ICC partnered with United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) to empower women and girls and promote gender equality through cricket. During the T20I World Cup all 16 Nations hold ‘Cricket 4 Good Coaching Clinics’ with up to 40 school children taking part in each.
About the International Cricket Council (ICC):
Chair – Greg Barclay
Chief Executive– Geoff Allardice
Headquarters– Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE)