On June 24, 2022, the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) organised a virtual event to celebrate 7 years of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana-Urban (PMAY-U) to highlight the important initiatives implemented under PMAY-U Mission. The event was presided by Shri Manoj Joshi, Secretary, MoHUA.
- Launched by the Prime Minister (PM) of India Narendra Modi on 25th June 2015, it is one of the largest urban housing programmes in the world.
i.An e-Book ‘7 years of PMAY(U) 2015-2022’ was released by Secretary, MoHUA which is a compendium encapsulating the evolution and achievements of PMAY(U). It can accessed at https://pmay-urban.gov.in/uploads/anniversary/7_Years_of_PMAYU.pdf
ii.The winners of Khushiyon Ka Aashiyana Short Film Contest were also declared. A total of 34 participants have been selected under three categories for recognition. The winners of the contest will get a cash prize and a certificate of recognition. The 1st Prize carries a cash reward of Rs 25,000, 2nd prize Rs 20,000 and the 3rd prize Rs 12,500. Click here for awardees
It was launched by MoHUA as part of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav celebrations. It was open to PMAY-U beneficiaries, students, youths, civil society organisations, institutions and individual/groups above 18 years of age, during the period 1st July 2021 to 30th September 2021.
- The broad theme was ‘Transforming Human Lives in Urban Landscape’ through PMAY-U mission.
iii.PMAY-U field inspection module in dashboard was also launched on the occasion to assist visitors to inspect PMAY-U project sites/houses construction by beneficiaries with the help of just a mobile phone.
- The module can be used by the Ministry, Central Nodal Agencies, PMU members, State officials and respective State Level Technical Cells (SLTCs) & City Level Technical Cells (CLTCs) staff.
i.With a total investment of Rs 8.31 Lakh Crore ,PMAY-U has so far sanctioned Rs 122.69 lakh, out of which more than 1 crore houses have been grounded and over 61 lakh houses have been completed and delivered to the beneficiaries.
ii.Owing to the construction work under 239 Lakh jobs have been created.
iii.Six Light House Projects (LHPs) under Global Housing Technology Challenge India (GHTC-India) was launched by MoHUA to promote globally available construction technologies that are sustainable, eco-friendly and disaster-resilient.
- The project in Chennai (Tamil Nadu) is completed while LHPs in Rajkot (Gujarat), Indore (Madhya Pradesh), Lucknow (Uttar Pradesh), Ranchi (Jharkhand) and Agartala (Tripura) are currently in the making.
iv.MoHUA has also launched Affordable Rental Housing Complexes (ARHCs), a sub-scheme under PMAY-U for urban migrants/poor.
- Under Model 1, a total of 5,478 existing government-funded vacant houses have been converted into ARHCs in Chandigarh, Gujarat (Ahmedabad, Rajkot and Surat), Rajasthan (Chittorgarh) and in Jammu.
- Under Model 2, 80,273 new ARHC units worthRs 178.28 Crore have been sanctioned for construction by Public/Private entities. Meanwhile, constructions of 22,689 new ARHC units are in progress in Sriperumbudur, Tamil Nadu.
Senior officials of the MoHUA, Principal Secretaries of States/UTs (Union Territories), and stakeholders from Central and State Governments, among others
About Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana-Urban (PMAY-U):
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) Mission launched on 25th June 2015 which intends to provide housing for all in urban areas by year 2022. The Mission addresses urban housing shortage among the Economically Weaker Section (EWS)/Low Income Group (LIG) and MIG (Middle Income Group) categories including the slum dwellers by ensuring a pucca house to all eligible beneficiaries of urban India in line with the vision of ‘Housing for All’. It is divided into four verticals:
- In-situ Slum Redevelopment (ISSR)
- Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme (CLSS)
- Affordable Housing in Partnership (AHP)
- Beneficiary-led Individual House Construction/ Enhancement (BLC-N/ BLC-E)
Recent Related News:
i.On April 12, 2022, Secretary Manoj Joshi, MoHUA launched ‘SVANidhi se Samriddhi’ program in additional 126 cities across 14 States/ UTs.
ii.During the inaugural event of the ‘Smart Cities, Smart Urbanization’ conference, Union Minister Hardeep Singh Puri, MoHUA), stated that all 100 smart cities of India under the
Smart City Mission (SCM) are set to have Integrated Command and Control Centres (ICCC).
About Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA):
Union Minister– Hardeep Singh Puri (Rajya Sabha- Uttar Pradesh)
Minister of State– Kaushal Kishore (Constituency- Mohanlalganj, Uttar Pradesh)