The Constitution day or Samvidhan Divas is observed annually on November 26 since 2015 to mark the adoption of the Indian Constitution by the Constituent Assembly on this day in 1949. The Constitution then came into force on January 26, 1950. The year 2020 marked the 71st Constitution Day.
Notably, Government of India (GoI) decided yearlong celebration for this day where the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (MoSJ&E) was administered as the nodal ministry for the same. As a part of this, the ministry had organized many programs throughout the year, one of which was producing a documentary on the Constitution titled “Illustrations and Calligraphy in the Constitution of India”. It was e-released by Union Minister Dr Thawar Chand Gehlot, MoSJ&E on November 26, 2020 in New Delhi.
- The documentary was produced by Dr Ambedkar International Centre (DAIC) of MoSJ&E citing the relevance of the varied illustrations used in the Constitution with their respective parts.
- The release was also witnessed by Secretary, MoSJ&E R. Subrahmayam, Director, DAIC Vikas Trivedi, among other senior officers.
- Prof. Ms. Viney Kapoor, Vice Chancellor, Dr. B.R Ambedkar National Law University, Sonepat, Haryana delivered the keynote address on ‘Significance of Constitution Day’.
Other events marking the 71st Constitution Day are detailed as below:
Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the 80th AIPOC 2020 at Kevadia, Gujarat
To celebrate the centenary year (100th year) of All India Presiding Officers Conference (AIPOC) and to mark the Constitution day, a two-day long 80th AIPOC 2020 was organized by Lok Sabha at the banks of River Narmada and near the Statue of Unity in Kevadia, Gujarat on 25-26 November. It was inaugurated by President, Ram Nath Kovind on the theme “Harmonious Coordination between Legislature, Executive and Judiciary- Key to a Vibrant Democracy” while it was chaired by Lok Sabha Speaker, Om Birla.
- It was attended by Vice president and Chairman of Rajya Sabha Venkaiah Naidu, Gujarat Chief Minister (CM) Vijay Rupani, Governor of Gujarat, Acharya Devvrat, Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla.
- The President also visited the Statue of Unity and paid his tribute to the Iron Man of India, Sardar Patel.
- The concluding session of the conference was virtually addressed by Prime Minister (PM) Narendra Modi i.e. November 26.
Exhibition on Constitution Day:
As a part of the conference, the Bureau of Outreach Communication, Ministry of Information & Broadcasting (I&B) in collaboration with Parliamentary Museum & Archives has put up an exhibition at the conference tracing the journey of Indian democratic tradition from Vedic Times through the Lichchavi period to the Modern Democratic India.
TRIFED showcased tribal craft, culture & cuisine at Constitution Day Celebrations in Kevadia, Gujarat
The Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED) under the Ministry of Tribal Affairs (MoTA) partnered with the Lok Sabha team to showcase tribal crafts, culture and cuisine through exhibition.
- The focus of this exhibition was to shift the limelight on tribal traditions and the empowerment of community through Go Vocal for Local Go Tribal.
- A Naga hut facade representing North-East and a Van Dhan demo unit has also been installed. The demo unit managed by the Van Dhan Kendras from Rajasthan showcased how Amlas, a natural produce, will be processed and packaged into the final product.
- All participants handed a parting gift souvenir as mementos made up of bamboo displaying the Preamble to the Constitution of India.
About Ministry of Tribal Affairs (MoTA):
Union Minister– Arjun Munda
Minister of State (MoS)– Renuka Singh Saruta
About All India Presiding Officers Conference (AIPOC):
The All India Presiding Officers Conference was started in 1921 as a platform to share new experiences, thoughts, and ideas to strengthen the democratic process.
Film Division Screened Four Documentary Films on Constitution of India
The Film Division (FD) of India under the Ministry of I&B screened four documentary films on the adoption of Constitution of India on FD website and YouTube Channel. The films streamed were as follows:
- Our Constitution (12 Min./English/1950) which depicts the various clauses of India’s Constitution
- We The People of India (21 Min./English/1986) that traces framing of the Constitution
- The Preamble (5 Min./ English/1973), an animation on the Preamble to the Constitution of India, and Babasaheb Ambedkar (75 Min./English/ 1991)
- A biographical film on Dr BR Ambedkar, the chief architect of the Constitution of India.
Point to be noted: Dr Bhimrao Ramji (BR) Ambedkar was the Chairman of the Constitution Drafting Committee.
iOS version of the Nyaya Bandhu App and its onboarding on UMANG platform to be launched on Constitution Day
The Department of Justice has organized a Webinar on Constitution Day to deliberate on prevalent pro bono practices and its scope in India on Samvidhan Divas. During this, Barun Mitra, Secretary, Department of Justice launched the iOS version of the Nyaya Bandhu Application and its onboarding on UMANG platform (MeiTY).
- The Nyaya Bandhu App is focused on providing free legal aid and Access to Justice to a common man as enunciated under Article 39A of the Constitution of India. It was developed by the Department of Justice in partnership with common service centres (CSCs) e- Governance Services in 2017.
- It should be noted that in 2019, Department of Justice was nominated as the Nodal Coordinating department for the execution of pan Indian awareness programme on Citizens’ Duties including Fundamental Duties as enshrined under the Indian Constitution.
Special postal covers on “kangri” and “kehwa” released in J&K
On the occasion of Constitution Day, the Lieutenant Governor of Jammu & kashmir Manoj Sinha released two special covers on the themes- Kangri and Kehwa of the Postal department at Raj Bhavan in Jammu.
- It was launched for the promotion of cultural facets of Jammu and Kashmir.
Kangri is a small pot filled with lighted charcoal which is carried close to the body as a means of keeping warm, while Kehwa is traditional green tea consumed in Kashmir.
Recent Related News:
i.The United Nations(UN) International Day of Non-Violence is observed annually on October 2, the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi. The day is observed to spread the message of non-violence, including through education and public awareness. In India it is celebrated as Gandhi Jayanti. This year (2020) marked the 151st birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
ii.The Indian Air Force (IAF) day is held annually on October 8 as on this date the Air Force in India was officially raised in 1932 as the supporting force of the Royal Air Force of the United Kingdom (UK). The year 2020 marked its 88th anniversary.