On August 20-21, 2020, Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) in partnership with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand organized the two-day long 6th Round Table of ASEAN-India Network of Think Tanks (AINTT) through video conference on the theme “ASEAN-India: Strengthening Partnership in the Post COVID Era”. ASEAN is an acronym for Association of Southeast Asian Nations.
- It was inaugurated by Union External Affairs Minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar and the Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister of Thailand Don Pramudwinai. ASEAN Secretary General Dato’ Paduka Lim Jock Hoi also addressed the inaugural session. SOM (Senior Officials Meeting) Leaders / their representatives from all ten ASEAN Member States were also present in the Session.
- The organizing partners of the Round Table were ASEAN-India Centre (AIC) at the Research and Information System for Development Countries (RIS) and ASEAN Studies Centre (ASC) at Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok.
5 Themes of 6th Round Table:
- This round table was premised on the five thematic sessions viz.
- Changing Landscape of Global Order and ASEAN-India relations in the post Covid-19 Era
- Emerging Value Chains: Opportunities for ASEAN and India in the post Covid-19 Era
- New Normal and Significance of 4IR on ASEAN-India Partnership and Future Collaborations
- ASEAN Outlook on Indo-Pacific (AOIP) and Indo-Pacific Oceans Initiative (IPOI): Complementarities and Cooperation
- Way Forward
Other Participants: More than 400 people from academia, industry, government and diplomatic community attended the Round Table.
About ASEAN-India Round Table :
The ASEAN-India Round Table comprising think tanks, policy makers, scholars, media and business representatives was established at the 7th ASEAN-India Summit in Thailand in 2009 to provide policy inputs to Governments on future direction of cooperation.
Recent Related News:
The 3rd India-Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) youth dialogue 2020 was held virtually on June 8-10, 2020 focusing on coronavirus pandemic. The meet has regarded the youth as “vehicles of change” who are playing a pivotal role by leading the fight against the pandemic.
About Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN):
2020 Chairmanship– Vietnam
Chairman– Nguyen Xuan Phuc
Secretariat – Jakarta, Indonesia
Membership– 10 States ― Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam. 1 Observer – Papua New Guinea.