Philippines based Ramon Magsaysay Award Foundation (RMAF) announced the 65th edition of the Ramon Magsaysay Award(2023) with the theme “Transforming Asia, Inspiring the World”.The 2023 Ramon Magsaysay Award is set to be held in Manila, Philippines on 11th November 2023.
The 2023 Ramon Magsaysay awardees are:
- Ravi Kannan: “Hero for Holistic Healthcare” from India.
- Miriam Coronel–Ferrer: “Women in Peace-Building Pioneer” from the Philippines.
- Eugenio Lemos: “Food Sovereignty Visionary” from Timor-Leste.
- Korvi Rakshand: “Education-for-All Champion” from Bangladesh.
Note: The Ramon Magsaysay Award is regarded as the ‘Nobel Prize of Asia’.India has received a total of 59 awards, while the Philippines has received 65 awards, making it the highest among all countries.
Winners of Ramon Magsaysay Awards 2023:
|Ravi Kannan||India||For his combination of skill, commitment, and compassion in pushing the boundaries of people-centered, pro-poor health care and cancer care|
|Korvi Rakshand||Bangladesh||For his work towards developing inclusive education for the underprivileged children in Bangladesh|
|Eugenio Lemos||Timor-Leste||For his efforts in ensuring adequate food for people and promoting the importance of conserving the environment and social equality.|
|Miriam Coronel-Ferrer||Philippines||For her unwavering confidence in the transforming power of nonviolent peacebuilding techniques.|
The award carries a certificate, a medallion with an embossed image of Ramon Magsaysay and a cash prize of USD 50,000.
About 2023 Ramon Magsaysay Award Winners:
Dr R. Ravi Kannan: Hero of Holistic Healthcare:
i.Surgical oncologist Dr R. Ravi Kannan has been working as Director at the Cachar Cancer Hospital and Research Centre(CCHRC), Silchar in Assam since 2007.
- He previously headed the Surgical Oncology department at the prestigious Adyar Cancer Institute, Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- Ravi Kannan was awarded Padma Shri in 2020 in the field of medicine category.
Korvi Rakshand: Education-for-all Champion:
i.The founder of the JAAGO Foundation Korvi Rakshand of Bangladesh awarded with the 2023 Ramon Magsaysay Award in the Emergent Leadership category.
- He established the JAAGO Foundation in 2007 to provide education to underprivileged students.
- The Foundation now provides English-language education to over 30,000 students throughout Bangladesh at free of cost.
Miriam Coronel-Ferre: Women in Peace-Building Pioneer:
i.Peace negotiator Miriam Coronel-Ferre was the Philippines government’s Chief negotiator for peace talks with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front to end insurgency and pave the way for peace.
- She co-founded the Southeast Asian Women Peace Mediators,engaged in convening safe spaces for dialogues and supporting mediation initiatives in countries like Myanmar and Afghanistan. .
- She also served as the mediation adviser for the United Nations (UN) and was involved in U.N. peace missions in Afghanistan, Kosovo, Iraq, the Maldives and Southeast Asia.
Eugenio Lemos:Food Sovereignty Visionary:
i.An agriculturalist who promotes organic farming in Timor-Leste(East Timor), was recognized for his work in helping achieve sufficient food for people and instilling the value of safeguarding the environment and social equality.
- As a singer, he uses his songs to campaign for food security and environmental protection.
About Ramon Magsaysay Awards
The Ramon Magsaysay Award, is a yearly honor created to uphold the values of 7th president of the Philippines Ramon del Fierro Magsaysay. Started by trustees of the Rockefeller Brothers Fund, located in New York City, and with the approval of the Philippine government. It is managed by Ramon Magsaysay Award Foundation (RMAF). It is frequently referred to as the “Nobel Prize of Asia.”
- First Awarded: August 31, 1958.
- From 1958 to 2008,The Award was given in six categories annually, five of which were eliminated in 2009.
- Except for Emergent Leadership the Awards are no longer given in any predefined category beginning in 2009.
Indians who have won Ramon Magsaysay Award in the past:
Satyajit Ray- 1967 – Filmmaker
Prakash Amte-2008- Indian medical doctor
Ravish Kumar- 2019 -Indian journalist
Kiran Bedi- 1994 – IPS officer
Several others including- Vinoba Bhave, Mother Teresa, and Arvind Kejriwal (2006) also won this prestigious award.
Recently Related News:
On 26th April 2023, The 1959 Ramon Magsaysay Award was presented to Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama in person after 64 years in Dharamsala, Himachal Pradesh, by Ramon Magsaysay Award Foundation president Susanna B Afan and foundation trustee Emily A Abrera.
About Ramon Magsaysay Award Foundation (RMAF):
Chairman – Aurelio R. Montinola III
Established – 1957
Headquarters – Manila, Philippines