On December 26, 2019 the Union Minister of Human Resource Development (MHRD) Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ has launched 5 documents developed by the University Grants Commission (UGC) which covers 5 verticals of Quality Mandate in New Delhi.5 documents by UGC:
- Document coverage area: These 5 documents cover areas such as evaluation reforms, eco-friendly and sustainable university campuses, human values & professional ethics, faculty induction and academic research integrity.
- The UGC has adopted the Higher Education Quality Improvement Programme Mandate(HEQIPM) to improve the quality of education in higher educational institutions.
- Mandate’s aim: The aim of the mandate is to enhance the higher education system by providing the next generations with vital skills, knowledge and ethics for leading a rewarding life.
Key Speech during the event:
i.The report named ‘Evaluation Reforms in Higher Educational Institutions in India’ that makes student assessment based on learning outcomes turned very beneficial for the Higher Education Institutions(HEIs).
ii.The policy frameworks of UGC were discussed. These include
- SATAT – Framework for eco-friendly and sustainable campus development in HEIs. The framework enhances ways for improving the quality of the campus by adopting green methods.
- MulyaPravah – The framework has set of guidelines for inculcating human values and professional ethics in HEIs.
iii.Guidelines of Guru-Dakshta was discussed. Guru-Dakshta is a guide to Faculty Induction Programme (FIP) which aims in making the faculty to adopt learner centred approaches.
iv.The effort of UGC for setting up Consortium for Academic and Research Ethics (UGC-CARE) was discussed. The UGC-CARE continuously monitors and identifies quality journals across disciplines. More awareness in promoting academic integrity is expected through CARE website and reference list of quality journals.
About University Grants Commission(UGC):
Headquarters- New Delhi.
Motto- Gyan-Vigyan Vimuktaye (Knowledge Liberates)
Chairman- Dhirendra Pal Singh.
Vice Chairman- Bhushan Patwardhan.