48th International Film Festival of India (IFFI) was held in Panjim, Goa from 20th – 28th November, 2017.
- This event was jointly conducted by the Union Ministry of Information and broadcasting, Directorate of Film Festivals and the Government of Goa.
- Theme of 48th IFFI was “Celebrating the Future of Cinema”.
- First edition of IFFI was conducted in 1952.
Canada the focus country at IFFI 2017
Canada was the focus country at International Film Festival of India (IFFI) 2017.
- Every edition of IFFI features a ‘Country of Focus’ and prominent films made by the country of focus are screened throughout the course of festival.
- Besides, delegations from the focus country as well as respected individuals from that country’s film industry are encouraged to visit IFFI.
- At IFFI 2017, 8 best films from recent Canadian Cinema were screened. Mr. Cameron Bailey, Artistic Director of the Toronto International Film Festival, Ms. April Mullen, Filmmaker-Producer and Actress from Canada and Ms. Marielle Poupelin, Interim Director of International Promotion attended IFFI 2017 as Special Guests.
IFFI opened with Iranian filmmaker’s Beyond The Clouds
International Film Festival of India (IFFI) 2017 opened with renowned Iranian filmmaker Majid Majidi’s ‘Beyond The Clouds’.
- ‘Beyond The Clouds’ is a tale of a brother and sister, and how they find happiness in separation and turbulent time.
- A R Rahman has composed the music for this film, while, Ishaan Khatter and Malavika Mohanan are the lead actors.
Subhash Ghai and Shraddha inaugrate Bioscope Village at IFFI
On November 21, 2017, filmmaker Subhash Ghai, actors Padmini Kolhapure and Shraddha Kapoor inaugurated ‘Bioscope Village’, an initiative by Entertainment Society of Goa, at the 48th edition of the International Film Festival of India in Panjim, Goa.
- Bioscope Village consisted of four inflated theatres with 5.1 sound system, where screenings were held everyday till November 27, 2017.
- Classic Hindi and English films such as “Golmaal”, “Mr India” and “Seven Samurai” were shown at these mobile theatres.
48th International Film Festival of India concludes in Goa
48th International Film Festival of India (IFFI) concluded on November 28, 2017 in Panjim, Goa.
- 48th IFFI concluded with the world premiere of Indo-Argentinian co-production “Thinking of Him”, directed by Pablo Cesar.
- The closing ceremony was marked by the presence of renowned personalities of Indian Cinema including Amitabh Bachchan, Salman Khan, Katrina Kaif, Akshay Kumar, and Karan Johar among others.
- Goa Chief Minister, Manohar Parikkar and Union Minister Smriti Irani were also present at the closing ceremony.
IFFI personality of the year award for Amitabh Bachchan
On November 28, 2017, at the closing ceremony of 48th IFFI, Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan was honoured with personality of the year award.
- Amitabh Bachchan was felicitated with ‘Indian Film Personality of the Year’ award by Bollywood Actor Akshay Kumar and Union Minister Smriti Irani.
- Amitabh Bachchan has acted in over 190 Indian films in a career spanning almost five decades. He has won several awards including four national awards.
Canadian filmmaker Atom Egoyan to get lifetime achievement
Canadian filmmaker Atom Egoyan was honoured with a lifetime achievement award at the 48th International Film Festival of India (IFFI) in Goa.
- Atom Egoyan was felicitated with ‘Lifetime Achievement Award’ by Union Minister Smriti Irani and Bollywood Actress Katrina Kaif.
- Atom Egoyan is best known for his films “Exotica”, “The Sweet Hereafter” and “Chloe”.
IFFI 2017 – Awards Winners List:
|Best Film||120 Beats Per Minute by Robin Campillo|
|Indian Film Personality of the Year||Amitabh Bachchan|
|Best Female Actor||Parvathy for Take Off|
|Best Male Actor||Nahuel Pérez Biscayart for 120 Beats Per Minute|
|Best Director||Vivian Qu for Angels Wear White|
|Lifetime Achievement Award||Atom Egoyan|
|Best Debut Film of a Director||Kiro Russo for Dark Skull|
|ICFT UNESCO Gandhi Medal||Kshitij for A Horizon|
|Special Jury Award||Mahesh Narayanan for Take Off|