Highlights of Global Environmental Outlook Report:
According to the UN environment report over 40 million people in India will be put at risk from rising sea levels by 2050.
- The Report points out Mumbai and Kolkata having the maximum exposure to coastal flooding in future due to rapid urbanisation and economic growth.
- Bangladesh, China, India, Indonesia, and the Philippines,are expected to have storm surge with a combined total of over 58 million people at risk by 2050.
- The report also emphasized that global urban populations are projected to scale up by 5 billion by 2050, with nearly 90 per cent of the increase in Asia and Africa.
Countries in Asia will face Risk:
Seven of the 10 most vulnerable countries worldwide are in the Asia Pacific region.
|S.No||Country||Estimated People Under Risk|
Exposure to Coastal Flooding:
It warned that by 2070 the following cities projected to have coastal flooding in 2070 due to their fixed location.
|1||Mumbai and Kolkata||India|
|2||Guangzhou and Shanghai||China|
|6||Ho Chi Minh City and HaiPhong||Vietnam|
United Nations Environment Programme:
- Formation: 1972
- Headquarters: Nairobi, Kenya.
- Head: Germany Achim Steiner.