197 Asian companies have featured in the latest edition of the Fortune Global 500 list, which ranks companies by their revenues in 2016.
Fortune Global 500 list – Highlights:
With 197 companies (nearly 40%) on the list Asia is now home to more of these global giants than any other continent, followed by North America (145) and Europe (143). The rest of the world has a mere 15 companies on the list.
- US continues to have the largest presence on the elite list with 132 firms, followed by China having 109 firms.
- 500 companies on the list generated $27.7 trillion in combined revenues and $1.5 trillion in profits in 2016 and employed 67 million people.
- The 500 companies are based in 34 different countries of the world.
- Walmart with revenues of $485,873 million has topped the list.
Indian Companies in Fortune Global 500 list:
Total 7 Indian companies have featured in this list out of which four are from the public sector.
- Indian Oil, ranked at 168th is the only Indian company in the top 200.
- Other six Indian companies in the list are Reliance Industries (203), State Bank of India (217), Tata Motors(247), Rajesh Exports (295), Bharat Petroleum (360) and Hindustan Petroleum (384).
- It is to be noted that State-run firm ONGC has moved out of the rankings for 2016, whereas private gems and jewellery major Rajesh Exports has made its debut on the list in this edition.
Fortune Global 500 list– Top 10:
|Rank||Company||Country of Origin|
|7||Royal Dutch Shell||British – Dutch|