As per a report by UK-based charity Oxfam titled “An Economy for the 1%”, the wealthiest 62 people now own half of the world’s population (3.5 billion people), as the super-rich have grown richer and the poor poorer. The report highlighted the global inequality.
- Among those affluent 62, there are four Indian names: Industrialist Mukesh Ambani, IT titan Azim Premji, pharma boss Dilip Shanghvi and business magnates Hinduja Brothers.
- The wealth of the richest 62 people has risen by 44% since 2010, while the wealth of the poorest 3.5 billion fell 41%.
In India, 46% of billionaires have made their fortunes from sectors that depend upon market power, influence or preferential access to licensing & the CEO of a top information technology firm makes 416 times the salary of a typical employee.
Here is brief info about the India’s Super-Rich Personalities
About Mukesh Ambani:
1957 born Mukesh Dhirubhai Ambani is the CMD and largest shareholder (44.7% stake) of Reliance Industries Limited (RIL), which is the India’s second most valuable company by market value.
(Net worth – US$22.1 billion (January 2016))
- He resides at the Antilia Building, the world’s most expensive property.
- As of 2013, he is India’s richest man and second richest man in Asia.
- Through Reliance, he also owns the IPL franchise Mumbai Indians.
- He has served on the BOD of Bank of America Corporation and the international advisory board of the Council on Foreign Relations.
- He was the chairman of the board of IIM Bangalore.
About Azim Premji:
1945 born Azim Hashim Premji is an Indian business tycoon, investor, philanthropist & chairman of Wipro Limited.
(Net worth – US$16.2 billion (November 2015))
- He owns 73% of Wipro and also owns a private equity fund, PremjiInvest, which manages his $2 billion worth of personal portfolio.
- In 2010, he was voted among the 20 most powerful men in the world by Asiaweek.
- Premji has been recognised by Business Week as one of the Greatest Entrepreneurs.
- In 2013 he gave away 25% of his personal wealth to charity.
- Azim Premji University was established as a not-for-profit, private autonomous university under the Azim Premji University Act 2010 of the Karnataka Legislature in India.
About Dilip Shanghvi:
1955 born Dilip Shanghvi is an Indian businessman and one of the richest persons in India. He is the founder and MD of Sun Pharmaceuticals.
(Net worth – US$ 17.5 billion (January 2016))
- As of the 2015 Forbes real time ranking, he is the richest Indian surpassed the long-standing richest Indian, Mukesh Ambani.
About Hinduja Group:
The Hinduja Group is a global conglomerate company headquartered in London, UK. The company was founded in 1914 by Parmanand Deepchand Hinduja.
(Srichand Net worth – US$15.1 billion (January 2016))
- Srichand Hinduja and his brother Gopichand moved to London in 1979 to develop the export business; Prakash manages the group’s finances in Geneva, Switzerland while the youngest brother, Ashok, oversees the Indian interests.
- Under the leadership of its chairman, Srichand, Hinduja Group has become one of the largest diversified groups in the world.
- In 2014, Srichand and Gopichand Hinduja emerged as the richest men in Britain with a net wealth of about $20 billion.