Chief minister of Odisha, Naveen Patnaik inaugurated the 39th World Congress of Poets (WCP) for 2019 at the Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology (KIIT) University, Bhubaneswar, Odisha. It was held from October 2-5, 2019 under the theme ‘Compassion through Poetry’. It was held for the third time in India. Previously, it was held in Chennai in 1986 and 2007. The congress was held in 3 languages English, Spanish and Chinese.
There were 4 venues for WCP which are as follows:
- Venue for wisdom poetry – KIIT
- Venue for tourism poetry – Konark Sun Temple
- Venue for spiritual poetry – Puri Sea Beach
- Venue for reflection poetry – Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences (KISS)
- Over 1000 poets, who are members of WCP from 82 countries participated in the event.
- 39th WCP conferred Honorary D.Litt (Doctor of Literature) to eminent writer and poet, Padma Bhushan Mr. Ruskin Bond and eminent artist, Ganesh Haloi.
- It also presented Gandhi Prize for literature to eminent Gandhian and Anthropologist, Acharya Bhabananda, Honorary Diploma was presented to Padma Shri Bhabani Charan Pattnayak, noted Gandhian and Freedom Fighter.
- A statue of Mahatma Gandhi was unveiled and the public library Karamchand (Gandhi Library) was inaugurated.
- Various kinds of poetry including Compassion Poetry, Wisdom Poetry, Tourism Poetry, Spiritual Poetry and Reflection Poetry was held during the event.
- Members present: Dr. Achyuta Samanta, President of 39th WCP; Akhilesh Mishra, Director General, Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR), Prof. Ernesto Kahan, the 1st Vice President, World Academy of Arts and Culture (WAAC); Dr. Maurus Young, President, World Congress of Poets were present during the inaugural ceremony.
- The congress is essential to achieve united Nation Sustainable Development Goal (UNSDG) 4 – Quality Education.
The WCP was founded in 1969. It was held at Manila, Philippines for the first time. It is being organized by WAAC – World Academy of Arts and Culture.