On January 21,2021, the Ministry of Coal had conducted the below three events in New Delhi.
- Presented Coal Minister’s Awards 2020
- Inaugurated New Coal Handling Plant (CHP)
- Launched Project Passion’ – Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) of CIL
Coal Minister’s Awards 2020
Three units of Coal India Ltd (CIL) namely Northern Coalfields Ltd (NCL) in Madhya Pradesh, Central Coalfields Ltd (CCL) in Jharkhand & Western Coalfields Ltd (WCL) in Maharashtra have bagged the ‘Coal Minister’s Award 2020’ for adopting the best & sustainable practices for coal mining in India. The awards were presented by Pralhad Joshi, Union Minister of Coal & Mines during a function held in New Delhi.
- NCL, Madhya Pradesh was awarded for its performance in Coal Production & Productivity
- CCL, Jharkhand & WCL, Maharashtra were awarded for the adoption of best safety practices & sustainable mining.
New Coal Handling Plant (CHP)
During the event, Pralhad Joshi virtually inaugurated a new CHP at Krishnashila Coal Project of NCL in Uttar Pradesh (UP). It is the 3rd project completed from the total CIL’s 35 First Mile Connectivity (FMC) Projects.
- Krishnashila CHP has a Coal Handling capacity of 4 Million Tonnes Per Annum (MTPA).
- It will transport coal through Conveyor Belts & Rapid Loading system to Anpara Thermal Power Station (ATPS) of UP’s Rajya Vidyut Utpadan Nigam Limited & Renusagar Power Division of Hindalco.
- The other two completed projects of CIL’s 35 FMC are South Eastern CoalFields Limited (SECL) & Mahanadi Coalfields Limited (MCL).
- The remaining 32 projects are set to be completed by the Financial Year (FY) 2023-24.
CIL’s FMC Project:
- The total capacity of CIL’s 35 FMC projects is 400 MTPA and the total investment is INR 12, 500 Crores.
- The main aim is to improve the coal evacuation process and to help environment protection.
- It will also increase the mechanized coal handling capacity from 150 MTPA to 550 MTPA.
Pralhad Joshi also launched ‘Project Passion’ – Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) of CIL to boost the business performance & Growth of the company by ensuring Data Integrity.
- Set to be implemented in 2 phases
- Benefits – Assist in real-time decision making, improve efficiency & reduce costs.
Target – CIL to achieve its target of 1 Billion Tonne Coal Production by FY 23-24.
Anil Kumar Jain, Secretary at Ministry of Coal & Mines;Pramod Agarwal, Chairman of CIL;P K Sinha, Chairman cum Managing Director (CMD) of NCL; PM Prasad, CMD of WCL; Manoj Kumar, CMD of WCL were present during the event.
- Coal India is responsible for around 80% of Domestic Coal Output.
- It is the single largest Coal Producing Company in the world
- Globally, India is the 2nd Largest Producer of Coal in the World, China occupies first place.
Recent Related News:
i.June 22, 2020, CIL entered into the partnership with NITI Aayog’s Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) to support it’s key innovation and entrepreneurship initiatives across India.
ii.On 23 July, Union Home Minister, Amit Shah launched ‘Vriksharopan Abhiyan’ the tree plantation campaign of the Coal Ministry in the presence of Shri Pralhad Joshi, Union Minister of Coal & Mines.
About Coal India Limited (CIL):
Chairman cum Managing Director – Pramod Agarwal
Headquarters – Kolkata, West Bengal