On December 18, 2019, the 2nd session of the 2+2 Ministerial Dialogue between India & United States(US) was held in Washington DC, US. The meeting was hosted by the Department of State at Foggy bottom headquarters in Washington DC. The focus of the meeting was on deepening bilateral strategic and defence cooperation, exchanging perspectives on global developments, & shared leadership between the two countries in the Indo-Pacific region.The highlights of the dialogue in brief are as follows:
- Indian Delegation: Union Minister of Defence(MoD) Shri Rajnath Singh and Minister of External Affairs(MEA) Shri Subrahmanyam Jaishankar lead the Indian delegation to the 2+2 dialogue.
- US led delegation: The delegation from the United States was led by US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo along with Defense Secretary Mark Esper.
India, US sign industrial security agreement for transfer of defence technology:
India and the US signed an industrial security agreement that will allow transfer of defence technology in both nations. Prior to the signing, a wide range of strategic and security issues by both the nations were discussed.
Purpose: This agreement, known as Internal security annex (ISA) will provide a framework for cooperation development and production linkages in defence manufacturing.
i.Industrial Security Annex: ISA is a pact which will allow the US defence manufacturers to work with Indian private sector companies.
- It will transfer high end technology pieces of defence sector that are regulated under US law.
- The ISA will also add value to the ‘Make in India’ initiatives and to the two defense corridors(Tamil Nadu and Uttar Pradesh) in the country.
ii.US defence trade: The US defence trade which is currently of $18 billion has substantially increased in 15-20 years.
Rajnath Singh visited Naval Air Station Oceana & Naval Station Norfolk:
The defence Minister Rajnath Singh Naval Air Station (NAS) Oceana and Naval Station Norfolk in US during his visit to the US for the 2+2 meeting.
Naval station visits:
- Visit to the Oceana: Static display i.e, flight simulator of the boeing fighter jet was demonstrated. F/A-18E flight demonstration was also inspected. Flight of USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN 69) aircraft carrier was also done by the defence minister.
- Members present: The defence minister was accompanied by Ambassador of India to the US Shri Harsh Vardhan Shringla, Defence Secretary Dr Ajay Kumar, other senior officials.
Rajnath Singh interacted with Indian community in New York:
Ahead of the 2+2 dialogue, Shri Rajnath Singh arrived in New York, US. He attended reception for the Indian Community and friends of India organised by the Consulate General of India at the Asia Society. Topics on India-US relations and the Indian economy were discussed.
1st India-US 2+2 dialogues:
- The India-U.S. 2+2 Ministerial Dialogue was first initiated in September 2018.
- The 1st round of the meeting was held in New Delhi in September 2018. The meeting focused on upholding peaceful resolution of territorial maritime disputes, promoting market-based economics, supporting good governance etc.
- Indian and American delegations: The 1st session was held between US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Secretary of Defense James Mattis, former MEA Sushma Swaraj and former Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman.
About United States(US):
Capital- Washington, D.C.
President- Donald Trump.
Currency- US Dollar.