India on November 26, 2016 observed it’s Constitution Day, as it was on this day in 1949 that the Constituent Assembly adopted the Constitution, which, it came into force in 1950.The Government of India declared 26 November as Constitution Day on 19 November 2015 by a gazette notification to honor our Constitution and its promulgation.
- The Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi made the declaration on 11 October 2015 on the occasion of laying the foundation stone of the Ambedkar memorial in Mumbai. The year of 2015 is the 125th birth anniversary of Dr. Ambedkar.
- In honor of the day various activities are being organized all over India such as mock Parliament, essay and debate competition.
- Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has also asked the affiliated schools to celebrate the day.
The Constitution Day is celebrated to
Value and preserve the rich heritage of diverse culture and to develop the scientific spirit, humanism and the spirit of inquiry and reform.
- Promote harmony and the spirit of common brotherhood amongst all countrymen, to respect the dignity of women.
- Protect and improve the natural environment including forests, lakes, rivers and wild life and to have compassion for living creatures.
Constitution Day (Samvidhan Divas) is celebrated in India in honour of Dr.B.R. Ambedkar. He was Independent India’s first law minister.
- Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar, the principal architect of the Constitution of India. was an Indian jurist, economist, politician and social reformer who inspired the Dalit Buddhist Movement and campaigned against social discrimination like Untouchables (Dalits) and supported the rights of women and labour.
- In 1949, the Constituent Assembly of India adopted the Constitution of India, and it came into effect on 26 January 1950.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi released books on the Constitution
The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi attended a book release function on November 26, 2016 at Parliament House Annexe to commemorate Constitution Day.
- PM released two books: an updated version of the Constitution of India; and Making of the Constitution” on the occasion.
- PM Modi said that though the nation celebrates Republic Day on 26th January with pride, it is incomplete without celebrating Constitution Day on 26th November.
- The book aimed at spreading the message that in India, when we recall the Constitution, we also recall Babasaheb Ambedkar. We must be connected with the spirit of the Constitution, and to be aware of its various articles and look for a balance between rights and duties.
Book on RSS leader ‘L M Inamdar’ co-authored by PM Modi released on Constitution Day
Gujarati edition of a book on the late RSS leader Lakshmanrao Madhavrao Inamdar, co-authored by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi, was released on November 26, 2016.
- The Gujarati edition of the book is written jointly by Narendra Modi and RSS leader Rajabhai Nene on L M Inamdar, popularly known as “Vakilsaheb”.
- Hindi edition of the book was published two years ago.
- Senior RSS leader Bhaiyyaji Joshi and Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani were also present for the function.
About L M Inamdar
Born at Satara in Maharashtra, Inamdar was jailed for eight months during the freedom struggle. He became RSS pracharak in 1942 and handled various responsibilities in the saffron organisation. He is considered to be Modi’s mentor.