The 23rd BWF world championship was held in Glasgow, Scotland from 21 – 27 August 2017 at the Emirates Arena, Glasgow.
The BWF World Championships is a badminton tournament sanctioned by Badminton World Federation (BWF). The tournament offers the most ranking points, together with Summer Olympic Games. The winners will be crowned as the “World Champions” and awarded gold medals. However, it does not offer any prize money.
Games Conducted :men’s singles, men’s doubles, women’s singles ,women’s doubles, mixed doubles.
Winners of 23rd BWF World Campionship-2017 :
1) Men’s Singles –viktor axelsen of Denmark . Viktor Axelsen claimed Denmark’s first men’s singles gold in 20 years at the badminton World Championships after he beat China’s Lin Dan .LIN DAN is a two-time Olympic champion and five-time World champion.
2) Women’s Singles –Nozomi Okuhara of Japan. The final match was between Nozomi and P.V Sindhu . It was toughest one and the score is 19-21, 22-20, 20-22 in final.Nozomi won bronze medal in 2016 Olympic.
In this match
i.Gold- Nozomi [Japan]
ii.Silver- P.V Sindhu [ India]
iii.Bronze- Saina Nehwal [India]
3) Men’s Doubles- Liu Cheng and Zhang Nan of China. The final match was between them Andmohammad Ahsan and Rian Agung Saputro of Indonesia.
4) Women’s doubles – Winners are Chen And Jia from China .The final match was between Yuki Fukushima and Sayaka Hirota of Japan and China’s Chen Qingchen, Jia Yifan.
5) Mixed doubles-Indonesia’s Tontowi Ahmad and Liliyana Natsir have won world badminton championship in glasgow, scotland, after defeating their chinese counterparts Zheng Siwei and Chen Quinchen.
Indians Who Participated In This BWF Championship Games :
Ajay Jayaram, Kidambari Srikanth And Sai Praneeth in men’s singles.
P.V Sindhu And Saina Nehwal in women’s singles.
Pranaav Jerry and N.Sikki in mixed doubles.
About the game :
Former names of this game: known as IBF world championships, also known as the world badminton championships.
The tournament started in 1977 and was held once every three years until 1983 after that it faced some difficulties. Started 1985, the tournament became biennial and played once every two years until 2005. Starting 2006, the tournament was changed to an annual event on the BWF calendar with the goal to give more chances for the players to be crowned as official “world champions”. However, the tournament will not be held once every four years to give way to the summer Olympic games (It won’t be conducted on the year of Olympics).
Where it will be conducted in forthcoming years:
2018 – Nanjing( In China ).
2019 – Basel(Switzerland).