Union Minister of State for Petroleum and Natural Gas, Dharmendra Pradhan visited Istanbul in Turkey from 9th to 12th July, 2017 to represent India at the 22nd World Petroleum Congress (WPC) International Conference.
Highlights of 22nd World Petroleum Congress:
Theme for 22nd World Petroleum Congress was ‘Bridges To Our energy Future’.
- During the conference, Mr. Pradhan chaired a ministerial session on the subject ‘Current Economic Strategies in Indian Oil and Gas Sector’ and a plenary session on ‘Supply and Demand Challenges for Oil, Gas and Products’.
- Speaking at the event, Mr. Pradhan said, “In today’s oversupplied market, it is important for producers to understand the perspective of consumers and demand centres and the changes that have taken place in these demand centres”.
- Pradhan launched an event on Hydrocarbon Exploration and Licensing Policy (HELP) as a part of promoting upcoming oil and gas bidding rounds in India. He also reiterated that Prime Minister Modi has given a target of reducing import dependence by 10 per cent by 2022.
- During the course of this visit, Mr. Pradhan held several bilateral meetings with petroleum ministers of other countries.
About World Petroleum Congress (WPC):
World Petroleum Congress is a premier conference that is organized by the World Petroleum Council. It is widely recognized as the “Olympics” of the oil and gas industry.
- WPC was first organised in year 1993. Currently it is being held at interval of three years.
- The WPC Conference attracts ministers, chief executive officers of oil and gas multinational corporations, experts and academicians from the hydrocarbon sectors.
- The host city for WPC Congress is selected through a bidding process. Turkey had won the bid to host the 22ndWorld Petroleum Congress (WPC) in 2017.
- Capital: Ankara
- Currency: Turkish lira