The World Economic Forum Annual Meeting 2017 was held in Davos-Klosters, Switzerland from January 17-20, 2017.The theme of 47th World Economic Forum Annual Meeting 2017 is Responsive and Responsible Leadership.
- The main issues discussed includes challenges related to shaping the Future of Consumption, Economic Growth and Social Inclusion, Education, Gender and Work, Energy, Environment and Natural Resource Security, Financial and Monetary Systems, Food Security and Agriculture, Health and Healthcare, International Trade and Investment, Long-Term Investing, Infrastructure and Development; and Mobility.
- The 47th Annual Meeting of the WEF was attended by around 2,500 leaders from business, politics, academia, civil society and art engaging in intense discussions. It saw 400 sessions including special address by Chinese President Xi Jinping and British Prime Minister Theresa May.
The inaugural had musical concert by violinist Anne- Sophie Mutter.
CEPI Formally Launched at WEF
The Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI) was launched at World Economic Forum (WEF) Davos with $460-million funding to develop vaccines against 3 emerging highly-contagious and fatal diseases namely Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS)-coronavirus, Lassa fever, and Nipah virus.
- These funds would be used by CEPI to develop vaccines for these 3 diseases before they become global health emergencies. For this CEPI will invite proposals from academic researchers and industry to develop candidate vaccines for its three target viruses.
- It aims to develop at least two vaccines for each virus in the next 5 years through early human studies so that they are ready for a real-world test as soon as one of these viruses surfaces again.
- It has received $100 million commitments from Wellcome Trust and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and the governments of Germany, Japan and Norway have pledged to contribute additional $260 million.
WEF Annual Meet Closes with Afghan Orchestra
The annual WEF meeting concluded with a musical performance by Afghan’s first women Orchestra ‘Zohra’ on January 20, 2017 in Davos.
- Zohra is Afghanistan’s first and the only female Orchestra in Afghanistan They are students at the National Institute of Music (ANIM) and the first women in their families, community and country to learn music in over 30 years.
- The orchestra from Kabul joined Geneva’s youth Orchestre du College for a powerful concert. The concert was held in partnership with Intesa Sanpaolo.
About World Economic Forum (WEF)
The World Economic Forum (WEF) is a Swiss nonprofit foundation, based in Cologny, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Its mission is to improve the state of the world by engaging business, political, academic, and other leaders of society to shape global, regional, and industry agendas.
- Founded: 1971
- Chairman: Klaus Schwab
About the WEF Meeting
- The WEF meeting is held annually at the beginning of the year to discuss challenges related to the global, regional and industry agendas. The meeting brings together top business leaders, international political leaders, economists, and journalists for up to four days to discuss the most pressing issues facing the world