The 2016 Syed Modi International Grand Prix Gold is the second grand prix’s badminton tournament of the 2016.It was held in Lucknow, India on at the Babu Banarasi Das Indoor Stadium from 26 – 31 January 2016.
Key Highlights of 2016 Tournament
Men’s singles category
- Indian Kidambi Srikanth won the 2016 Syed Modi International Grand prix Gold Championship Title in men’s singles category of Badminton.
- After defeating Huang Yuxiang the chines player with 21-13, 21-14 and 21-14 score he won the title for 2016.
Women’s singles category
- Sayaka Sato from Japan won the Women’s single Title 2016 Syed Modi International Grand prix Gold Championship Title in women’s singles category by defeating Sung Ji Hyun from South Korea by 12-21, 21-18, 21-18 scores.
Men’s doubles category
- Goh V Shem and Tan Wee Kiong from Malaysia won Men’s Doubles Title in men’s doubles category they defeated Indian pair of Pranaav Jerry Chopra and Akshay Dewalkar by score of 14-21, 24-22, 21-8.
Women’s doubles category
- Jung Kyung-eun and Shin Seung-chan from South Korea won Women’s Doubles Title by defeating Eefje Muskens and Selena Piek from Netherlands in women’s doubles category by 21-15 and 21-13 score.
Mixed Doubles Title
Mixed Doubles Title was won by Indonesian pair Praveen Jordan and Deby Susanto they defeated Thai pair Puavaranukroh Dechapol and Sapisree Tairattanchai by 23-25, 21-09, 21-16 score.
About the Championship :
Syed Modi was an Indian badminton singles player. He was an 8 times National Badminton champion. In the memory of Syed modi, Uttar Pradesh Badminton Association inaugurated the Syed Modi Memorial Badminton Tournament, which has now became an important international badminton tournament
- The Syed Modi International Badminton Championships is an international Badminton tournament which is annually in India. Initially Uttar Pradesh Association (UPBA) inaugurate the tournament in 1991 in Commonwealth Games
- It remained a national-level tournament till 2003 but in 2004 it was organized as an International event.