The 2016 Apia International Sydney was a joint 2016 ATP World Tour and 2016 WTA Tour tennis tournament, played on outdoor hard courts in Sydney, Australia. It was the 123rd edition of the tournament.
Prize money: Men – $461,330 & Women – $753,000
Here is the Final Tally
- Men’s Singles – Viktor Troicki of Serbia defeated Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria by 2–6, 6–1, 7–6.
- Women’s Singles – Svetlana Kuznetsova of Russia defeated Monica Puig of Puerto Rico by 6–0, 6–2.
- Men’s Doubles – Jamie Murray of UK/Bruno Soares of Brazil defeated Rohan Bopanna of India/Florin Mergea of Romania by 6–3, 7–6.
- Women’s Doubles – Martina Hingis of Switzerland/Sania Mirza of India defeated Caroline Garcia of France/Kristina Mladenovic of France by 1–6, 7–5, 10–5.
About Viktor Troicki:
Viktor Troicki is a Serbian professional tennis player of Russian and Serbian heritage. He won his first ATP singles title at the 2010 Kremlin Cup beating Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.
- He won his second ATP singles title at the 2015 Apia International Sydney beating Mikhail Kukushkin in the final.
- His biggest achievement was winning the Serbia’s Davis Cup final against France in 2010, which eventually lifted Troicki to his career-high singles ranking of World No. 12 in June 2011. He is now ranked at world 22.
About Svetlana Kuznetsova:
1985 born Svetlana Aleksandrovna Kuznetsova is a Russian professional tennis player whose current WTA rank is 20. Kuznetsova has won a total of 16 WTA and 1 ITF singles titles and 16 WTA doubles titles to date.
- She won her first WTA title at the Nordea Nordic Light Open in Helsinki, Finland.
- Her first Grand Slam title came at the 2004 US Open.
- Second Grand Slam title was the 2009 French Open defeating compatriot Dinara Safina.
- In doubles with Arantxa Sanchez Vicario she won her first five WTA doubles titles.