Recently, India and USA signed 2015 Framework for the India-US Defence Relationship by Manohar Parrikar of India and Ashton Carter , US Secretary of Defence. Dr Carter who was on three day official trip to India, signed the framework which forecasts joint development and production of defence equipment and technology.
Salient features of the 2015 India-USA Defence Framework
• It stresses on building of previous defence framework and successes to help in bilateral and strategic partnership for the next ten years.
• Avenues for high level strategic discussions, continued exchanges between armed forces of both the nations and strengthening of defence capabilities.
• Transformative nature of Defence Technology and Trade Initiative DTTI is recognised .
Project agreements — For joint development of Mobile Electric Hybrid Power Sources and Next Generation Protective Ensembles, have also been finalised between India and USA .
• Both the leaders also agreed to quicken the discussions to take forward cooperation on jet engines, aircraft carrier designs and construction etc.
• Co-development and co-production projects that would give substantial opportunities for American Defence Industries to build Defence partnership with Indian industries including in manufacturing under the ” Make in India” initiative.
• Discussions to enhance strategic and defence interest also took place when Mr Carter met PM Modi , External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and National Security Advisor Ajith Doval .
• Carters trip comes as USA re-balances itself to AsiaPacific.
• In March, Pentagon officials termed China’s ongoing territorial disputes with Brunei,Malaysia,Taiwan, Vietnam and Philippines over South China sea as provocative.
• It is an important element of defence agreement.
• In 2005,the first framework agreement was signed by India’s then Defence Minister Mr Pranab Mukerjee and USA Donald Rumsfield.
Make in India initiative– what it is??
• It is an initiative of Indian government to encourage companies in the manufacture of their products in India.
• Launched by Indian PM Narendra Modi.
• Date 25th September 2014.