On April 19, 2021, Indian Naval Air Squadron (INAS) 323, the 1st Unit of the Indigenously built ALH (Advanced Light Helicopter) Mk-III Aircraft was commissioned into the Indian Navy at INS Hansa, Goa.
- INAS 323 Squadron will comprise of 3 ALH Mk IIIs. It will be commanded by Commander Samik Nundy.
- The ALHs are designed and developed Indigenously by the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).
- The squadron will perform roles like Search and Rescue operations, Special Operations and Coastal Surveillance.
- ALH Mk-III powered by Shakti Engine is a variant of the ALH-Dhruv.
- Around 16 Aircrafts are under procurement and are being delivered in a phased manner to the Indian Navy.
- During the Aero India 2021 held in Bengaluru, Karnataka, HAL delivered 3 ALH Mk-III to the Indian Navy.
Reducing dependency on Foreign Imports
India is taking several steps to reduce its dependency on imported weapons and equipment.
- Defence Ministry stated that 63% of the Defence outlay for the year 2021-22 has been set aside for Domestic Procurements (INR 70, 000 Crore out of INR 1.35 Lakh Crore allocated in Defence budget.
Recent Related News:
i.On February 15, 2021, Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL) delivered the Third of Six Kalvari-class submarines based on ‘Scorpene Class’ to the Indian Navy at Mumbai, Maharashtra.
About Indian Navy:
Chief of the Naval Staff – Admiral Karambir Singh
Headquarters – New Delhi
About Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL):
Chairman and Managing Director (CMD)– R Madhavan
Headquarter– Bengaluru, Karnataka