The Prime Minister of India Shri Narendra Modi inaugurated the 2-day organised first edition of the ‘Rising Himachal: Global Investor’s Meet 2019’ at Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh. The meet which was held from November 7-8, 2019 was organised by the Himachal State govt. The partner country for the event was United Arab Emirates (UAE).
Event aim: The aim of the event was to showcase investment opportunities and to boost manufacturing and employment generation.
Key focus areas: 8 sectors were focused during the meeting. They were on agri-business and post-harvest technology, manufacturing and pharmaceuticals, tourism and hospitality, civil aviation, hydro and renewable energy, wellness, healthcare and AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, Sowa Rigpa and Homoeopathy), housing and urban development, Information Technology-enabled service (ITes)and electronics, education and skill development.
Brand Ambassador: The Brand Ambassador for Investors’ Meet was Bollywood actress Yami Gautam.
- Rohtang Tunnel completion: The near stage completion of construction of the Rohtang tunnel built under the Rohtang Pass in the eastern Pir Panjal range of the Himalayas on the Leh-Manali Highway was discussed. This tunnel once completed would be the longest road tunnel in India with length 8.8km
- Task force for scheme implementation tracking: The Union Minister of Commerce and Industry & Railways, Piyush Goyal announced setting up of high level task force for fast tracking the schemes implemented by the govt. The task force will be constituted with Secretary Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade Secretary as chairperson. Other representatives of this scheme involves Union Ministries of agriculture and food processing, railways and tourism.
- Himachal’s MoU target: The target of signing Rs 85000 crore worth Memorandum of understanding (MoU) was surpassed by the Himachal govt. The MoU signed by it now stands at worth Rs 92,000 crore.
- A coffee table book regarding the global investors meet was also released at the event by the Prime Minister.
- Event sessions: various sessions on Ease of Doing Business(EoDB), tourism, AYUSH, economic ties between India and UAE were held.
- The PM also visited an exhibition showcasing the investment potential and opportunities of Himachal.
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah, presided over the conclusion event of the summit.
About Himachal Pradesh:
Capital- Shimla (summer capital) and Dharamshala (winter capital).
Chief Minister(CM)- Jai Ram Thakur.
Governor- Bandaru Dattatreya.