In accordance with the first Hurun India Future unicorn List 2021′ released by Hurun Research Institute, India became the third largest Unicorn ecosystem in the world after the United States (US) and China as India have 51 Unicorns worth $168 billion, and 32 Gazelles and 54 Cheetahs.
- This list is a ranking of India’s startups founded in the 2000s, having a value of US$200 million (Rs 1,500 crore), and have not yet been listed on the stock exchange.
- Number of Unicorns in the US and China is at 396 and 277 respectively. The United Kingdom (UK) is at 4th position with 32 unicorns and Germany at 5th spot with 18.
What are Gazelles and Cheetahs?
i.Gazelle is a startup founded after 2000 with a current valuation ranging from $500mn to $1bn, and has a potential to go unicorn in 2 years.
ii.Cheetahs have an estimated valuation ranging from $200mn to $500mn and are likely to turn unicorn in 4 years.
i.Bengaluru (Karnataka) is the start-up capital of India with 31 startups followed by Delhi NCR-National Capital Region (18) and Mumbai (13).
ii.Singapore-headquartered online retail store Zilingo is the most valuable gazelle with $310mn funding.
- It was founded in 2015 by Ankiti Bose and Dhruv Kapoor as an online B2B platform for small fashion merchants.
- It is followed by Bengaluru-based Gaming company Mobile Premier League which takes 2nd spot with $230mn funding. It was founded by Sai Srinivas Kiran and Shubham Malhotra in 2018.
iii.CoinSwitch Kuber is the only crypto start-up in the list.
iv.The domains of FinTech, E-commerce and SaaS (Software as a Service) comprises 49% of the list.
v.Pepperfry is the topmost cheetah with a total funding of $250 million, followed by DealShare and Mswipe Technologies.
vi.The average age of founders in the list was 39 years.
- The founders of gaming startup Zupee, Dilsher Singh and Siddhant Saurabh are the youngest (25 years) on the list.
vii.Most of the founders featured in this list are graduated/ post-graduated from either IIT (Indian Institute of Technology) Delhi or IIM (Indian Institute of Management) Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
viii.A total of 12 startups are co-founded by women entrepreneurs, which includes five gazelles and seven cheetahs.
Top Investors in these startups:
More than 300 investors including angel investors, corporates, AIFs, family offices and institutional investors have invested into the Cheetahs and Gazelles.
- Sequoia is the top investor in these start-ups, followed by Tiger Global.
Recent Related News:
StartupBlink released the Global Startup Ecosystem Index 2021, which ranks countries & cities depending on the Startup Environment. In the country-wise ranking, India with a score of 8.833 was ranked 20th out of 100 countries. The United States (US) topped the index followed by the United Kingdom (UK) & Israel.
About Hurun India:
It is a research, media and investments group.
Chairman– Rupert Hoogerwerf
Managing Director– Anas Rahman
Headquarter– Mumbai, Maharashtra