The 1st Edition of the Arab-India Energy Forum (AIEF) was held virtually from June 8-9, 2021. It was held under the co-chairship of India & the Kingdom of Morocco.
i.During the forum, a range of issues on boosting two-way energy cooperation and intra-regional power trading were discussed.
- The inaugural session of the forum was addressed by R. K. Singh, Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Power, New & Renewable Energy of India; Aziz Rabbah, Minister of Energy, Mines and Environment of Morocco; and Dr. Kamal Hasan Ali, Assistant Secretary General for Economic Affairs of the LAS (League of Arab States).
- Participants from various public and private sector institutions from India & LAS members participated in the event
i.The forum witnessed exchange of knowledge, expertise and best practices in the fields of energy efficiency programmes for different economic sectors, accelerated development of new & renewable energy, fostering regional power sharing arrangements, enhanced oil recovery, tight gas extraction, and safe nuclear power generation etc.
- Potentials and challenges of cooperation in the fields of energy transition, intra-regional power trading, hydrocarbons and nuclear power generation were discussed.
- Discussions were also held on national regulatory policies governing energy sectors, investment opportunities, Research & Development and training collaboration possibilities.
- Members from regional organisations like Organisation of Arab Petroleum Exporting Countries (OAPEC) and Arab Atomic Energy Agency (AAEA).
ii.The event was in implementation of the Executive Programme of the Arab-India Cooperation Forum (AICF) and decision of the 3rd meeting of the Senior Officials of India and League of Arab States (LAS) which was held virtually on 12th January, 2021.
iii.It was agreed to hold the 2nd edition of AIEF in India during 2023.
Recent Related News:
On January 12, 2021 3rd Senior Officials Meeting of Arab-India Cooperation Forum was held through video conference. During this meeting India decided to establish a USD 1 million(about Rs 7.32 crores)financial facility for academic collaboration with Arab.
Prime Minister – Saadeddine Othmani
Capital – Rabat
Currency – Moroccan Dirham (MAD)