The 18th Edition of BioAsia 2021 was conducted virtually from Hyderabad during the dates of February 22-23, 2021. Organized by the Telangana Government, BioAsia is Asia’s Largest Life Sciences & healthcare forum. It is also a flagship event of the Telangana Government.
- Theme – Move the Needle
- It is the 18th edition in the annual series and was held virtually for the first time.
- It was inaugurated by KT Rama Rao, Minister for Industries & Commerce, Government of Telangana
- Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant, Soumya Swaminathan, Chief Scientist of WHO were some of the participants in the event.
- Around 31, 450 delegates from 72 countries participated in the event.
Focus Topics of BioAsia2021
- Discussions on COVID-19, Global Health, Pharma, and MedTech.
- The event also served as a platform for Biotech start-ups, Academic Institutions, Scientists & Researchers, Policy Makers & Regulatory Experts across the globe for discussion on Coronavirus & other topics related to the Life Sciences Industry.
- The event held panel discussions on the topics of ‘Virtually connected healthcare’, ‘Immunizing the world’ & ‘COVID-19 – Hits\misses and hidden pandemic’
Awards presented during BioAsia 2021
During the BioAsia 2021, 2 major awards were announced. They are
Genome Valley Excellence Award 2021
- The Genome Valley Excellence Award for the year 2021 was awarded to ‘Bharat Biotech’ for its commitment to development of India’s 1st Indigenous vaccine for COVID-19 called ‘COVAXIN’.
- It was selected by the International Advisory Board of BioAsia 2021
Special Award of FABA
- Special Award of the Federation of Asian Biotech Associations (FABA) was presented to Balram Bhargava, Director-General of Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) and Secretary to Central Government’s Department of Health Research.
- He was recognized for his contributions in the field of Medicine & Healthcare.
- He has headed many projects such as India-Stanford Biodesign programme, c-GMP Centre for Excellence for Stem Cell Studies & Society for Less Investigative Medicine (SLIM).
- He pioneered the development of Indigenous low-cost coronary stents which has benefited many patients.
Recent Related News:
i.December 11, 2020, World’s largest virtual entrepreneurial summit, The IndUS Entrepreneurs (TiE) Global Summit-2020 (TGS 2020) was held virtually from December 8-10, 2020. It was hosted by TiE Hyderabad.
Dams – Nizam Sagar (on River Manjira), Singur Dam (on River Manjira)